Tallahassee Dog Bites
What happens when man’s best friend causes you physical pain and emotional trauma?
At Morgan & Morgan, our skilled legal team has decades of combined experience representing personal injury and dog bite victims throughout Tallahassee. We recognize that a dog attack is a terrifying experience that leaves lasting physical and psychological scars. If you sustain a bite injury while in a public place or while lawfully visiting a private place, we want to fight aggressively for your right to compensation.
Types of Dog Bite Injuries
Each year, approximately 600 Florida residents are hospitalized due to dog bite injuries. Dog bite injuries range from minor to severe based on the age of the victim and the type of canine. While smaller breeds generally cause less physical trauma, their sharp teeth can still puncture skin and muscle.
The list below contains examples of common types of dog bite injuries that occur in Tallahassee:
- Puncture wounds — If you sustain a puncture wound from any type of dog, seek medical attention immediately. Canine teeth can easily cut flesh, causing bleeding, pain, and infection.
- Nerve damage — In some dog attack cases a dog may shake its head back and forth causing a sawing motion that can damage muscles, tendons, and nerves. This type of injury may result in a loss of sensation or feeling in the affected area.
- Broken bones — Larger breeds such as Rottweilers, Doberman Pincers, and Pitbulls have long rows of sharp teeth and powerful jaws that can penetrate through muscle and even break a bone.
- Scars — Since dog bite injuries are often jagged, they can leave unsightly scars — constant reminders of the traumatic attack.
- Emotional trauma — As a result of sustaining a dog bite injury, you may suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This is a very real and serious condition that can affect your way of life, your desire to return to work, or going out in public for fear of encountering another dog.
Florida Dog Bite Law
In the state of Florida, liability for a dog bite injury lies with the dog owner if the injury occurs in a public place or while the victim is lawfully in a private place. Additionally, liability for dog bite injuries in the Sunshine state lies on the dog owner regardless of the dog’s history of viciousness or lack thereof.
It is important to understand, however, that dog owner liability may be reduced based on the percentage of negligence attributed to the victim in provoking the attack. For example, if you hit, poke, or provoke a dog and are subsequently bitten, the dog owner is still liable but his or her percentage of liability will be reduced based on your negligent actions.
Contact our Tallahassee Dog Bite Lawyers Today
After suffering a dog attack, you may sustain serious physical and psychological injury. At Morgan & Morgan, we fight for your right to compensation for present and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, and property damage.
To discuss your case with a dog bite attorney in Tallahassee today, call (850) 329-6895 or contact us online.
Offices near New York
Current call wait: 7 seconds