A serious car accident has the potential to devastate the lives of the crash victim and their family for years. Mountain-high medical bills, pain and suffering, and disability can all occur after a car accident. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a car accident, an attorney in our Lakeland office may be able to help you sue the other driver and obtain compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
At Morgan & Morgan, our attorneys have years of experience handling car crash lawsuits and can help determine whether taking legal action is right for you. We can determine who can be held liable for your injuries and deal directly with insurance companies on your behalf so that you can focus on recovery.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in an automobile, truck or motorcycle accident and you have questions about your rights, contact our Lakeland office today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. In Florida, there is a time limit in which a car accident lawsuit may be filed, so don’t hesitate to fill out our free, no-risk case evaluation form today.
Do I Have a Case?
This will depend on the specifics of your accident. In general, you can only file a lawsuit if someone else was negligent in causing the crash. Although car manufacturers and municipalities can be sued in auto accident lawsuits, these cases are most commonly filed against negligent automobile drivers. A driver acts negligently if he or she fails to exercise reasonable care in operating a vehicle. Common examples of negligent driving include:
- Failing to stop at a red light
- Failing to watch for crossing pedestrians
- Driving under the influence of alcohol
- Failing to signal or yield
The severity of your injury is also a key factor in determining whether you have a case. Florida law only allows automobile accident victims to file personal injury lawsuits if certain conditions are satisfied. For instance, to file a car accident lawsuit in Florida, you must have sustained serious and permanent injuries. If you have not suffered serious injuries, you may only be able to recover compensation through your Personal Injury Protection insurance policy.
What You Need to Know About Florida’s Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Insurance
The State of Florida requires drivers to have personal injury protection (PIP) auto insurance. PIP is often referred to as “no-fault” insurance because it provides benefits to car accident victims regardless of who was at fault in causing the accident. To receive benefits under a PIP policy, you must receive medical treatment within fourteen days of the accident.
In addition, to qualify for PIP insurance benefits in excess of $2,500, you must be receiving treatment for an “emergency medical condition.” Florida law defines “emergency medical condition” as a medical condition that requires immediate medical attention and could reasonably be expected to result in serious jeopardy to a patient’s health. The lawyers in our Lakeland office will work with your insurance company to make sure you receive all PIP benefits to which you are entitled. Click here for more information about Florida’s PIP program.
What Will My Car Accident Attorney Do?
Your Lakeland car accident attorney will review the facts of your case to determine if you meet the requirements to file a car accident lawsuit in Florida. If so, your attorney may file a lawsuit against the person responsible for your injuries. If your case is successful, you may be able to receive compensation for any losses stemming from the crash, including medical expenses.
When you are represented by Morgan & Morgan, your car accident attorney may take the following steps in preparing and handling your case:
- Gather Evidence: Your lawyer will gather all evidence necessary to prove who was at fault in causing the accident. To determine whether a lawsuit should be filed, your lawyer may interview witnesses, take photographs of the scene of the accident and review any traffic surveillance footage that is available. In addition, your attorney may review Lakeland police records to review the driving records of the other drivers involved in the accident.
- Work with Medical Experts: In a car accident lawsuit, a medical expert may explain to the judge and jury the full extent of your injuries, as well as the medical treatment you will need in the future to fully recover. The attorneys at Morgan & Morgan work with some of the leading medical experts in the state of Florida who will evaluate your medical condition to help ensure you receive the appropriate level of compensation for your injuries.
- Negotiate with Insurance Companies: After a car accident occurs, the insurance company may attempt to offer you a quick settlement in exchange for your agreement not to file a lawsuit. If an insurance company has made such an offer to you, you should immediately contact our car accident lawyers. More often than not, the initial offer from an insurance company is not their best offer and may not provide complete compensation for your injuries. Our attorneys can negotiate directly with the insurance company on your behalf. If these negotiations do not produce an adequate settlement offer, your lawyer will prepare to take your case to court to get the compensation you deserve.
- Prepare Your Case for Trial: If your case goes to trial, your Lakeland attorney will help you prepare to testify about the facts of the accident and the full extent of your injuries. At Morgan & Morgan, our lawyers have successfully tried numerous cases throughout Florida.
How Much Is My Case Worth?
The amount of compensation you receive will depend on a number of factors, including the severity of your injuries and whether you missed work and lost income as a result of the accident. The car accident attorneys at Morgan & Morgan may be able to help you obtain compensation for:
- Medical Bills: Through a car accident lawsuit, you may be able to obtain compensation for past and future medical bills, including money to help cover the costs of hospital bills, rehabilitation expenses, and in-home care aides.
- Physical Pain and Emotional Suffering: Car accident victims may be eligible to receive compensation for the physical pain and emotional suffering they have experienced as a result of the car accident.
- Lost Wages: If you missed work because of your injuries, you may be able to recover compensation for any lost wages. In addition, if you are no longer able to perform the essential functions of your job, you may be entitled to compensation for your reduced earning capacity.
- Punitive Damages: If the accident involved extremely reckless conduct, you may be able to recover punitive damages, which are intended to discourage others from engaging in similarly dangerous conduct.
What If I Have Been Injured in a Motorcycle Accident?
Like car accident lawsuits, motorcycle cases are also filed on the grounds that another person or entity was negligent in causing the crash. These lawsuits are often filed against negligent automobile drivers who fail to recognize motorcycles in traffic or who violate right of way laws.
Are These Cases Subject to PIP Regulations?
In Florida, motorcycle owners are not required to purchase PIP insurance. Therefore, injured bikers do not need to satisfy the PIP requirements described above to file a lawsuit against the driver who caused the accident.
Who We Can Help
The attorneys at Morgan & Morgan help victims and their families recover compensation in all types of motorcycle accident cases. Furthermore, in cases involving fatal motorcycle accidents, our lawyers can represent the victim’s spouse, children or other family members in wrongful death lawsuits against the drivers at fault for the crash. Through a wrongful death lawsuit, the motorcycle victim’s survivors may be able to obtain compensation for medical bills, funeral expenses, and loss of future income.
Why Should I Hire Morgan & Morgan?
Because motorcycle accidents often involve severe injuries and significant damages, it is important that an experienced motorcycle accident attorney represents you in court. While each case is different, our motorcycle accident attorneys have developed an enviable track record of success in the courtroom. Morgan & Morgan’s motorcycle accident attorneys regularly work with the leading highway safety experts in Florida to explain to juries how our clients’ injuries were caused by the negligence of other drivers.
What If I Have Been Injured in a Truck Accident?
In most cases involving accidents with commercial trucks, the lawsuit is filed against the truck driver’s employer. Our lawyers may review driving records, truck maintenance reports, and trip logs to help establish who was at fault in causing your accident. Moreover, your attorney may work with Florida law enforcement and other authorities who may also be investigating the cause of the truck accident.
Who We Can Help
The lawyers at Morgan & Morgan’s Lakeland office represent injured motorists and automobile passengers, as well as loved ones acting on their behalf. We have experience handling truck accident lawsuits involving:
- Speeding and failure to obey traffic laws
- Driver fatigue and unreasonable driving schedules
- Improperly maintained trucks
- Driver intoxication
- Defective trucks and equipment
- Improper driver training
- Overloaded trucks
Our Lakeland attorneys also represent pedestrians and cyclists who have been struck by trucks, including delivery and express mail trucks.
Why Should I Hire Morgan & Morgan?
Because trucking companies have the resources to hire high-priced lawyers to defend them, it is important that you retain a lawyer with the experience and legal knowledge required to go up against powerful trucking companies. Morgan & Morgan’s attorneys are among the most skillful and respected members of the Florida bar and will aggressively represent in settlement negotiations and in court to ensure that you receive adequate compensation for your injuries.
How Much Does A Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
Our Lakeland car accident attorneys represent clients on a contingency-fee basis, which means your lawyer will only receive a fee if he or she is successful in recovering compensation for you.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a car, truck or motorcycle accident, complete our free case review form today to find out how an attorney in our Lakeland office may be able to help you.