Florida Tesla Accident Lawyers
- The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
- America's Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
- 20 Billion+ Won
- 1,000+ Lawyers Nationwide
Free Case Evaluation
The attorneys featured above are licensed in Florida. For a full list of attorneys in your state please visit our attorney page.
Florida Tesla Accidents
Tesla’s Autopilot system was designed to bring us into a new age of driving, but just how safe and reliable is the software behind it? And is Tesla doing enough to ensure drivers understand what it means to operate one of their vehicles?
It’s natural to picture a hands-off approach to driving a car when one of its most prominent features is termed “Autopilot.” Descriptors such as “self-driving” and “autonomous” may lead consumers to believe these cars simply drive themselves.
But the truth is, Autopilot requires constant supervision from the driver, and the system is far from infallible. In fact, several serious accidents have taken place in Florida due to Autopilot malfunctions, raising questions about its safety and efficacy.
Get answers to commonly asked questions about our legal services and learn how we may assist you with your case.
Morgan & Morgan
Tesla Accidents in Florida
In the past few years, numerous accidents have occurred involving Autopilot:
- In 2016, near Gainesville, a man was killed in a Tesla Model S in Autopilot mode. The vehicle struck a tractor-trailer at the intersection of a non-controlled access highway. The Autopilot system was unable to detect the tractor-trailer and the brakes were not applied.
- In 2018, the owner of a Tesla Model S suffered permanent injuries when his vehicle, with Autopilot engaged, failed to detect the presence of a disabled Ford Fiesta on the roadway. The Model S crashed into the disabled vehicle at 80 mph. Morgan & Morgan filed a personal injury and consumer protection lawsuit against Tesla in the wake of the accident, alleging that the automaker has duped consumers into believing Autopilot requires minimal input and oversight from operators.
- In 2019, a man was killed near Delray Beach when his Tesla Model 3 crashed into the side of a tractor-trailer truck. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) concluded that Autopilot, which was active at the time of the crash, did not execute evasive maneuvers before striking the truck.
Autopilot isn’t the only potential danger Florida drivers face. In fact, many Teslas have gone up in smoke due to battery fires. In response to this growing concern, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) launched an investigation into Tesla battery defects.
Sadly, two Fort Lauderdale teenagers died of thermal injuries after their Tesla Model S burst into flames following a high-speed crash. Although the NTSB concluded that speed was to blame for the crash, they found that the crash-damaged lithium-ion traction battery contributed to the severity of the injuries.
Contact a Florida Tesla Accident Lawyer
If you’ve suffered an injury in a Tesla vehicle, you may be eligible to recover significant financial compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. The Tesla accident lawyers at Morgan & Morgan are here to help.
For more than 30 years, Morgan & Morgan has fought on behalf of injury victims and their families to protect their rights and financial future. With trial-ready lawyers throughout the state of Florida, we have the resources and know-how to help you achieve justice.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. It costs nothing to get started, and we get paid only if you win.
How it works
It's easy to get started.
The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
With a free case evaluation, submitting your case is easy with Morgan & Morgan.
Our dedicated team gets to work investigating your claim.
If we take on the case, our team fights to get you the results you deserve.
stories that inspire and drive change
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Based on Select nationwide reviews