Fort Lauderdale Lyft Accidents
Lauded for their convenience, ridesharing apps such as Lyft are surging in popularity in Fort Lauderdale and around the country. If you need to get somewhere quickly and don’t have a car at your disposal, all you have to do is navigate to the Lyft app on your phone and order a ride. Within minutes, a driver will be there to whisk you away to your destination.
Yet, despite its ease of use, ridesharing apps can’t protect against driver negligence. The same risks of entering any vehicle apply to riding in a Lyft: An accident can occur at any point during your journey. You might be wondering, what happens if you get hurt as a passenger in a Lyft vehicle? Who is responsible, and how can you recover compensation for your injury?
How Can I Recover Compensation After a Lyft Accident?
If you suffer an injury as a passenger in a Lyft-affiliated vehicle, you may have a few options to recover compensation. Generally speaking, financial responsibility falls to the insurance company of one of the following: the Lyft driver, Lyft itself, or another driver.
- The Lyft driver’s auto insurance coverage may cover your injuries if they have a commercial insurance policy or provision in their policy that covers ridesharing. Most of the time, Lyft drivers don’t have this insurance because it’s not required by the company. You can sue the driver directly, but they may lack the means to compensate you, or they may have a “business use exception” that doesn’t cover damages related to for-profit driving.
- Alternatively, you may be covered by Lyft’s commercial liability insurance, which covers up to $1 million per accident, per person.
- If the other driver was responsible for the collision, you can file a claim with their insurance company.
Should I File a Lawsuit Against Lyft?
Because Lyft drivers are considered independent contractors and not employees, it’s difficult to hold the company liable for the conduct of their drivers. Employees have more rights than independent contractors do, so companies are more likely to be legally responsible for negligence on the part of an employee. What’s more, since Lyft’s insurance coverage covers up to $1 million in damages, pursuing compensation directly from the company is generally not the best option for injury victims.
What Damages Are Available to Lyft Accident Victims?
From spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injury to whiplash and broken bones, passengers in Lyft-affiliated vehicles can suffer serious and lasting injuries that require extensive medical treatment and time away from work. As the victim in a Lyft auto accident, you may be able to recover financial compensation including but not limited to:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity
Contact a Lyft Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale
If you suffered an injury as a passenger in a Lyft vehicle, you owe it to yourself to contact a Fort Lauderdale auto accident attorney at Morgan & Morgan. Our team can evaluate the circumstances surrounding your injury to identify the negligent party. With our help, you may be able to collect financial compensation.
Schedule a free consultation now to discuss your case. It costs nothing to call, and we get paid only if you win. Contact us today.
Offices near You
Current call wait: 9 seconds