- $15 Billion+ Won
- 800+ Lawyers Nationwide
- The Fee is FreeTM, Only Pay If We Win
- America’s Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
Negligent Security Lawyers in Bowling Green
You might need to contact an attorney if you were injured at someone's property in Bowling Green due to negligent security. This is because when you visit someone's property or event, it is their legal duty to ensure you are safe. This is especially important if you are at the property legally.
At Morgan and Morgan, we understand the pain you might be going through after such an incident. You might be eligible for compensation if the injury originated from an attack, a fall, or anything else. Read on for more details.
Morgan & Morgan
How Can Bowling Green Negligent Security Lawyers Help?
Negligent security cases are complex. For this reason, hiring an experienced lawyer significantly increases your chances of winning the case. Such an attorney might help in many ways, as discussed below.
You must have a valid case to take legal action against the other party. That is where an attorney comes in to review the specifics of your case. Doing so ensures that whatever claim or lawsuit you file has legal grounds.
You will need evidence to prove that the other party is liable for your injury. However, the kind of evidence you opt for could make or break your case. After reviewing your case and establishing that you have legal grounds to take action, the attorney can also help you collect the most relevant evidence.
The attorney can also help identify the individual or entity responsible for your injuries. In some cases, more than one party might be liable for the injuries you or your loved one sustained.
Devising a Legal Strategy
Because negligent security cases are complex, you need a legal plan to stand a chance of winning. The ideal legal strategy will also depend on the specifics of your case, something an experienced attorney can help create.
Understanding Your Legal Rights
You may never know your rights regarding negligent security cases unless you consult an experienced attorney. In fact, many defendants take advantage of plaintiffs who do not have legal representation by offering lowball settlements or disputing the validity of their claims without a good reason.
But when you have an attorney by your side, the chances of being bullied by the plaintiff, their legal representatives, or the insurance company are quite low. This is because attorneys can help you understand how the law protects you in these cases.
Evaluating Your Injuries and Damages
When you get injured due to negligent security, your attorney will review the nature of your injuries and damages sustained. Their findings will help establish the compensation you may be entitled to if you win the case.
Filing a Claim or Lawsuit
Your attorney can also help file a claim against the other party's insurance company, allowing both parties to negotiate an out-of-court settlement. However, while most negligent security cases—and personal injury claims in general—settle out of court, some may require the attention of a judge or jury. A seasoned negligent security lawyer can help you file a lawsuit against the defendant if settling out of court fails.
Preparing You for Legal Battles
Depending on the nature of your case, you may need to attend a deposition, speak in front of the judge, etc. Again, your attorney will help you prepare for different scenarios, providing the head start you need to face the other party confidently in and out of court.
Representing You in Court
Since negligent security cases are complex, you need someone familiar with how these cases work, especially when arguing your case before a judge or jury. Also, bear in mind that the other party will likely also have their team of legal representatives to defend them. And when it comes to the battle of legal minds, it is best to have experts on your team.
Filing an Appeal
Suppose you lose the negligent security case, but your attorney believes the judgment was unfair. In that case, they might be able to file an appeal on your behalf and fight even harder to protect your rights.
Why Are Negligent Security Cases Complex?
Negligent security cases are complex for many reasons. For example, liability is one of the most contentious issues in these cases.
To put things into perspective, let's say you slipped and fell at the mall due to missing handrails. In that case, we all know that malls have several businesses operating in them. Therefore, you might have difficulty proving who is responsible for the missing handrails.
Do you go after the owners of the mall or the business premises that had the missing handrails? What about the contractor that built the handrails? Did they know, or should they have known, that there was a missing handrail?
These are just some of the questions that could potentially arise from a negligent security lawsuit. One thing for sure is that no company or individual will step forward to claim responsibility for the injuries you or your loved one sustained. Instead, you will carry the burden of proof, meaning it is your responsibility to identify the liable parties and prove liability.
In addition, your actions before the injury could determine the party responsible for the injuries. Using the example above, the mall's management could claim that you played a part in the injury. This could be all it takes to dismiss an entire claim or lawsuit.
I Have a Negligent Security Case – What Next?
If you believe that you or your loved one has been injured due to negligent security, it is important to know what to do next. The steps you take after such an incident could make or break your case. Generally, here is what to do:
- Call 911 and request an ambulance if you have sustained life-threatening injuries
- If possible, take pictures and videos of the incident
- Collect the contact information of any witnesses
- Do not claim to feel okay even if you do not feel any pain or discomfort
- If you do not need an ambulance, ensure you seek medical attention not later than 14 days after the accident—the sooner, the better
- Do not accept liability even if you feel you are partially responsible for the accident—the defense might use your words against you
- Do not sign any documents from the other party, particularly without speaking with an experienced negligent security lawyer in Bowling Green
- Do not discuss the accident on social media
- Ensure you follow your doctor's instructions—do not miss your medical appointments, and if you have to, ensure your doctor is aware of your reasons for missing the appointment
- Contact an experienced negligent security attorney for a case evaluation
What Are Some Examples of Negligent Security in Bowling Green?
Here are some fictional examples of what could be considered negligent security:
- A tenant notices that the front door to his apartment has a faulty lock. He notifies the landlord, but they fail to do anything about it for three weeks. Someone breaks into the apartment, attacks the tenant and his family, and then steals from them.
- A hospital fails to conduct security checks at the door. An intruder gains access to the ward and attacks a patient, killing them on the spot.
- An event organizer holds a concert at a stadium but fails to provide adequate security. A fight breaks out at the concert, causing serious injuries to some attendees.
- A security company hires security guards without checking their credentials. Armed robbers break into one of the properties guarded by the security company and injure the residents. Further investigations into the incident reveal that half of the security guards had no basic training in this field.
Who Is Liable for Negligent Security?
When it comes to negligent security cases, the issue of liability is always subject to further scrutiny. For example, although you can sue the individuals directly responsible for your injuries (such as the individual who attacked you at a concert), it might make more sense to go after the big fish, in this case, the event organizer, security company, etc.
These businesses tend to have some form of insurance to protect them from these lawsuits or claims. Therefore, you have a higher chance of maximizing your claim when you sue a company or organization than an individual.
However, this does not necessarily mean that the person directly responsible for your injuries can walk away freely. You may be able to pursue a criminal charge against them.
What Do I Need to Prove Negligent Security?
To prove negligent security, you must show the court that the following is true:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care, meaning they were responsible for your security.
- You were at the defendant's property legally—you did not trespass or arrive uninvited.
- The defendant's failure to provide security was the reason you got injured at their property.
What Damages Can I Recover From a Negligent Security Lawsuit?
The kind of damages you may be able to recover from a negligent security lawsuit will depend on the specifics of your case. Generally, if you win the lawsuit, you may be able to recover the following damages:
Economic damages: These cover the financial losses you suffered. Examples include medical bills, ambulance costs, medical equipment costs, caregiver costs, lost wages, loss of earning potential, etc.
Non-economic damages: These cover non-financial losses such as pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, permanent disfigurement, etc.
Punitive damages: If the court establishes that the defendant was grossly negligent, they might award punitive damages to the plaintiff. This award is meant to punish the defendant for their gross negligence and warn others in similar positions against such conduct.
Where Can I Find the Best Negligent Security Lawyers in Bowling Green?
If you are looking for the best negligent security lawyers in Bowling Green and the surrounding areas, look no further than Morgan and Morgan.
Why Should I Hire a Morgan and Morgan Negligent Security Attorney?
Morgan and Morgan is the largest personal injury law firm in the United States. We have a solid track record of fighting for our client's rights in and out of court. In addition, our law firm boasts powerful legal resources, over three decades' worth of experience, and proven results.
Ready to get started with your negligent security claim or lawsuit? Contact us for a free case evaluation.