Bowling Green Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles are fun and thrilling for many, but they can also be quite dangerous. They are less stable and less visible than cars according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. When motorcycles crash, their riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, so they’re more likely to be injured or killed.
Motorcycle deaths accounted for 13 percent of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2015 and were more than double the number of motorcyclist deaths in 1997. For more than 25 years, the motorcycle accident attorneys at Morgan & Morgan have been helping motorcycle accident victims and their families take legal action to recover compensation for their injuries.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a motorcycle accident, we may be able to help you file a lawsuit against the driver or drivers that caused the crash. Through a lawsuit, we can help you seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses that you suffered as a result of the accident.
The attorneys at Morgan & Morgan’s Bowling Green office have decades of experience representing bikers who suffered serious and life-threatening injuries and have the resources needed to help you get the compensation you deserve. To find out if you have a case, please fill out our free case evaluation form today.
Cases We Handle
Our Bowling Green attorneys have extensive experience handling cases involving motorcycle accidents in which another person or entity’s negligence caused the crash. Under Kentucky law, negligence on the road occurs when a driver fails to act in a reasonably safe manner or violates traffic laws.
For example, if a driver of a car failed to yield at a yield sign and crashed into a motorcycle rider, the driver of the car has acted negligently and may be held liable for the damages caused to the biker.
Our attorneys handle all types of motorcycle lawsuits, including:
- Distracted driving;
- Failure to recognize a motorcycle in traffic;
- Neglecting to pay appropriate attention to other drivers;
- Cutting off motorcyclists at intersections;
- Failure to yield;
- Road defects, such as potholes, loose gravel or gashes in the road;
- Violating a biker’s right of way;
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Failure to obey the speed limit; and
- Motorcycle defects, such as malfunctioning tires or brakes.
What Will My Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Do?
In the process of bolstering your case, your motorcycle accident attorney may do the following:
- Investigate the Cause of the Accident: In a motorcycle accident lawsuit, it is extremely important that the lawyers working on the case begin to gather and review evidence related to the accident as soon as possible. As part of this process, your lawyer may interview witnesses, take photos of the scene of the accident, obtain any traffic video camera footage that is available and review police reports regarding the crash. We may also subpoena the other driver’s phone records if our attorneys believe the driver was on his or her cell phone at the time of the crash.
- Work with Medical Experts: Motorcycle accident victims often sustain serious injuries that require lengthy periods of medical treatment rehabilitation. In handling your case, our attorneys may work with leading medical experts to evaluate the full extent of your injuries and the course of medical treatment you will need to fully recover. This information may be presented to the jury so that they can award you the proper amount of compensation for your injuries.
- Deal with Insurance Companies: Your attorney will deal directly with the insurance companies to ensure you are getting all benefits and compensation to which you are entitled. Your attorney can also help you complete any required insurance company paperwork.
- Engage in Settlement Negotiations: If the insurance company involved in your case submits any settlement offers, your attorney will help you evaluate the offer to make sure it provides you with adequate compensation. If the settlement offer is too low, your attorney may negotiate with the insurance company for a higher amount. As part of these negotiations, your attorney may present reports prepared by the medical expert in your case describing the full extent of your injuries and the amount of medical care you will need to fully recover from your injuries.
- Prepare the Case for Trial: If the negotiations do not produce an acceptable settlement offer, your attorney will prepare your case for trial. During the trial, your lawyer may present opening and closing statements, question witnesses and cross-examine any witnesses offered by the defendant.
What Can I Recover in a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit?
The amount of compensation you may be able to recover through a otorcycle accident lawsuit will depend on a number of factors, such as the specific injuries you suffered and whether you missed work as a result of your injuries. By filing a lawsuit, our attorneys may be able to help you recover compensation for the following types of damages:
- Past and future medical expenses (hospital bills, doctor’s visits, prescription drugs, rehabilitation expenses and the cost of in-home care aides);
- Lost wages;
- Loss of earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering; and
- Mental anguish.
In cases involving fatal motorcycle accidents, our attorneys can help the victim’s spouse, children or other dependents file a wrongful death lawsuit. Through a wrongful death lawsuit, the family of a deceased motorcycle accident victim may be able to recover compensation for medical bills and funeral expenses, as well as compensation for the loss of support and income the family would have received, had the accident not occurred.
If the driver that caused the accident engaged in particularly reckless and dangerous conduct (such as drunk driving), the plaintiff may also be eligible to receive punitive damages. Punitive damages are intended to discourage other drivers from engaging in similarly reckless behavior on the road. If you were injured in a motorcycle accident due to the negligence of another, we can help.
To find out what our Bowling Green motorcycle accident lawyers may be able to do for you, please fill out our free case evaluation form today.
Offices near New York
Current call wait: 5 seconds