- The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
- America's Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
- 20 Billion+ Won
- 1,000+ Lawyers Nationwide
Free Case Evaluation
The attorneys featured above are licensed in Florida. For a full list of attorneys in your state please visit our attorney page.
Memphis Emotional Abuse in Nursing Homes
Emotional abuse is one of the most difficult forms of nursing home abuse to detect and remedy. This kind of abuse is when a worker degrades, threatens, neglects, or causes other psychological suffering to a resident. Emotional abuse often comes in the form of neglect, which is when an employee or caretaker does not perform the level of care necessary for a nursing home patient.
Possible instances of emotional abuse are verbal threats, insults, the silent treatment, babying, manipulation, humiliation, isolation, and harassment. These dreadful actions deprive the elderly of the nurturing environment they deserve, and may be even more incapacitating than other forms of nursing home abuse.
The effects of emotional abuse can be debilitating for the resident of a nursing home, and difficult for family and friends to combat. If you or a loved one has been a victim of nursing home emotional abuse in Memphis, don't hesitate to speak with Morgan & Morgan's nursing home abuse attorneys. Fill out our free case evaluation form today and take one step closer to ending the abuse and bringing justice to the perpetrators.
Common Forms of Emotional Abuse in Memphis Nursing Homes
The Memphis nursing home abuse lawyers at Morgan & Morgan have seen many emotional abuse cases, but some are more common than others. We have seen these instances in the greatest frequency:
- Neglect or Isolation: Isolation occurs when a resident is not given necessary goods or services, is given the "silent treatment," or is involuntarily isolated from friends, family, and desired activities.
- Manipulation: Many nursing home residents are dependent on workers for assistance with everyday activities, such as eating and using the bathroom. Manipulation occurs when a worker deceitfully manipulates a resident for their own advantage to the point of distress for the resident.
- Verbal degradation: This kind of abuse occurs when a nursing home employee yells or screams at a resident, humiliates a resident, makes sarcastic remarks, or insults the resident.
- Verbal threats: A much stronger form of emotional harassment, this occurs when a nursing home uses aggressive language to intimidate a resident into behaving a certain way or performing a task that he or she doesn't want to.
Warning Signs of Emotional Abuse
While the warning signs of Memphis nursing home emotional abuse are often less pronounced than those of physical abuse, there are some common signs Morgan & Morgan have learned are indicative of possible emotional abuse. Some of the most common warning signs of emotional abuse or neglect include:
- Disappearance of personal items
- Emotional withdrawal
- Low self-esteem
- Mood swings
- Odd tics or nervous behavior
- Sudden erratic behavior
Since instances of emotional abuse are often-times difficult to detect, it is important to regularly communicate with a nursing home patient and stay alert and perceptive at all times.
Memphis Nursing Home Emotional Abuse Attorneys
The nursing home abuse attorneys at Morgan & Morgan firmly believe that no one should be subjected to emotional abuse in a place that is supposed to be nurturing and feel safe for the resident. For this reason, our nursing home abuse attorneys will work tirelessly to help end the abuse and recover maximum rewards for victims of these horrible acts.
If you or a loved one may have been emotionally abused in a Tennessee, Arkansas, or Mississippi nursing home, fill out the details of our free consultation form. We offer free evaluations and will always help you learn more about what your rights are. The victim could be eligible to seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, and punitive damages.
How it works
It's easy to get started.
The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
With a free case evaluation, submitting your case is easy with Morgan & Morgan.
Our dedicated team gets to work investigating your claim.
If we take on the case, our team fights to get you the results you deserve.
stories that inspire and drive change
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Based on Select nationwide reviews