Hospitals are designed to be one of the safest places, somewhere where you can be treated for your injuries by a professional. But careless and costly mistakes doctors and nurses in New York are far more common than people want to admit, and if it happens to you it can alter your life in the blink of an eye.
At Morgan & Morgan, our attorneys have nearly 30 years of legal experience handling medical malpractice cases, and we are confident in our ability to take on anyone, even big-name hospitals, to get you the compensation you deserve.
Although prior results cannot guarantee future outcome, our attorneys have helped thousands of clients recover monetary damages for medical bills, lost wages and other losses they incurred unnecessarily at the hand of their healthcare provider.
Medical Malpractice Laws
Doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals are expected to provide a certain level of care to their patients and can be considered negligent if they fail to meet these standards. If a patient is injured as a result of health care provider’s negligence, medical malpractice has occurred.
An example of this would be if a doctor failed to order a standard test that any other doctor would have ordered under typical conditions. If the patient is injured as a result, the doctor may be sued for compensation for medical bills, lost wages and other losses stemming from the patient’s injury.
Patients who suspect that they were injured as a result of their medical professional negligence do not have forever to hold them accountable, though. New York law puts the statute of limitations for medical malpractice cases at two and a half years, or 30 months, with some exceptions.
Medical Malpractice Cases We Handle
Unfortunately, there are quite a few ways that medical malpractice can occur, in many different medical settings during many different medical procedures.
Hospitals in New York have large staffs full of busy people, and sometimes things fall through the cracks. Whether it involves doctors, nurses, technicians, or others, some forms of medical malpractice in this environment include:
- Neglected or ignored a patient;
- Failed to monitor a patient’s vital signs;
- Delayed or failed to treat a patient according to his or her vital signs;
- Failed to properly care for a patient following surgery; and
- Failed to order standard medical tests.
Examples of negligence from doctors like anesthesiologists, general care physicians, specialists, surgeons and others include:
- Failure to read a patient’s medical chart or test results correctly;
- Prescribed medications in conflict with other drugs a patient was on that caused an allergic reaction;
- Misdiagnosed an injury or disease;
- Delayed a diagnosis;
- Administered the incorrect amount of anesthesia;
- Performed the wrong surgery or an unnecessary surgery; and
- Left a surgical tool in a patient following surgery.
Nursing homes staff members can be considered negligent in the following ways:
- Failed to properly screen staff members;
- Understaffed their facilities; and
- Failed to appropriately supervise their staff, leading to emotional, physical or economic abuse or neglect.
How an Attorney Can Help
Morgan & Morgan’s New York attorneys have experience in the many different types of medical malpractice cases that can happen. Often, hospitals have large insurance companies and legal counsel that could be used to intimidate you.
Fortunately, our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. That means no upfront legal fees, no consultation fees and – most importantly – you don’t pay unless we win.
If you decide to file a lawsuit using a Morgan & Morgan medical malpractice attorney as your representative they will prepare your case by:
- Closely reviewing the details of your injury;
- Collecting evidence to support your claim;
- Determining the potential value of your claim;
- Determining the parties that could be held liable; and
- Walk you through your legal options moving forward.
Contact Morgan & Morgan New York, PLLC Today
At Morgan & Morgan, we pride ourselves on being a trial law firm that is not afraid to bring our cases to court to get our clients the compensation they deserve. There is a strict time limit for filing medical malpractice lawsuits, however, so do not hesitate to contact us today if you were injured by a doctor, nurse or other medical professional in New York City.