- $13 Billion+ Won
- 800+ Lawyers Nationwide
- The Fee is FreeTM, Only Pay If We Win
- America’s Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
COVID-19 Funeral Home Neglect in New York
Tragically, tens of thousands of lives have been lost in New York State due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. The pandemic has overwhelmed funeral homes, some of which have gone to extreme measures to deal with the influx of remains. Infamously, one Brooklyn funeral home stacked dozens of bodies in unrefrigerated U-Haul trucks.
If you suspect a funeral home mistreated a loved one’s remains, our New York attorneys may be able to help. Schedule a free, no-risk case evaluation to find out if you might be entitled to compensation.
What Are Some Examples of Funeral Home Neglect During COVID-19?
Generally, cases of funeral home neglect involve incompetence, greed, deception, and/or sexual perversion. Amid the coronavirus crisis, these incidents appear to be on the rise. Examples of neglect include:
- Storing bodies in unrefrigerated trucks
- Piling bodies for lack of space
- Mishandling or losing a body
- Leaving a body unattended for a long period of time
- Stealing property such as jewelry
- Burying a body in the wrong plot
- Abusing a corpse
What Compensation Might I Be Eligible to Receive?
If a deceased family member was abused or mishandled by a funeral home, you could be eligible to recover compensation with the help of our New York attorneys. Types of damages typically awarded in these cases include:
- Funeral Expenses: The victim may be awarded damages for the funeral, casket, and other costs associated with the burial.
- Emotional Distress: Discovering that your loved one’s remains were not treated in a dignified manner can have a lasting emotional impact, and may warrant compensation.
- Punitive Damages: These damages are typically awarded when the funeral home’s actions were particularly malicious.
Contact a New York Funeral Home Neglect Lawyer
The coronavirus pandemic has challenged businesses of all kinds, including funeral homes, but that doesn’t excuse neglect. If you entrusted a funeral home to handle your loved one’s remains and they failed to do so in a respectful manner, contact us.
Find out how we can help you in a most difficult time. Schedule a free, no-risk case evaluation now.