Property owners in New York have a responsibility to keep their premises safe for visitors. If the place is not safe to walk through, – whether it’s due to ice, snow, potholes, or construction – it can be a recipe for disaster. Slip and falls are common, and often aren’t just minor accidents. They can lead to long-term injury, disability, and inability to work. You shouldn’t have to face the medical costs that come with slip and fall injuries just because someone else failed to keep their property in basic safe condition.
The premises liability attorneys in our New York office may be able to help you recover compensation for the injuries you have suffered while on another’s property. While there are many types of premises liability cases, ranging from elevator accidents to negligent security claims, these types of cases most commonly involve slip and fall accidents.
If you were injured after you slipped or tripped and fell, get in touch with Morgan & Morgan to find out if you have a case. You may be entitled to compensation for lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering and other damages.
Elements of a Slip and Fall Claim
How can you determine if you have a valid slip and fall claim? Generally, two elements have to be satisfied for you to potentially qualify for compensation for your damages:
- The property owner knew or should have known that the property contained a dangerous condition; and
- The property owner did not repair the dangerous condition or provide notice to visitors regarding the dangerous condition.
What makes a property dangerous? The general rules for that are:
- It presents an unreasonable risk of harm to the people on the property; and
- A reasonable person would not have anticipated that the condition existed.
How an Attorney Can Help
Morgan & Morgan attorneys understand the specifics of premises liability law and how to handle slip and fall cases. We also know that New York law gives you three years to file a lawsuit, and are ready to start helping you as soon as possible.
Three years can feel like a long time, but it is still important to contact an attorney as soon as possible. Successfully proving a claim takes a thorough investigation and building an effective case to prove as definitively as we can that you were harmed directly by someone else’s negligence, and that as a result you are owed compensation for your injuries.
In performing an investigation and working on your case, your Morgan & Morgan attorney may:
Prepare your Claim: A New York slip and fall attorney will review the facts of your trip and fall accident to determine if you have a viable claim for damages. In preparing your claim, your attorney may:
- Collect evidence, such as photographs or video surveillance footage of the scene of the accident;
- Interview any witnesses who may be able to offer testimony regarding the cause of the accident;
- Determine who may be held liable for the damages you have suffered; Review police reports and accident records; or
- Gather and review all pertinent medical records to understand the extent of your injuries.
Working with Medical Experts: Your attorney can work with medical experts who may be used to evaluate the extent of your injuries and explain to a jury how the slip and fall accident caused your injuries. The medical expert may also be used to explain any future medical care that will you will need as a result of the accident.
Determining and Attempting to Secure Compensation: By filing a slip and fall lawsuit, you may be able to receive compensation for past and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. In cases involving severe injuries that render you unable to return to work, you may be able to receive compensation for your reduced earning capacity.
Other Premises Liability Cases We Handle
Our premises liability attorneys do not limit their practice to slip and fall claims. We also represent clients in the following types of cases in New York:
- Swimming pool accidents, including cases involving improperly secured or supervised pool areas;
- Escalator and elevator accidents;
- Assaults due to negligent or inadequate security;
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals or toxic materials, including mold and lead paint;
- Injuries from falling objects;
- Failure to warn a visitor of a dangerous condition on the property;
- Inadequate maintenance;
- Injuries at restaurants and bars;
- Exposed tree roots;
- Dog bites;
- Collapsed decks and balconies;
- Defective stairs and railings, including broken steps and missing handrails; and
- Accidents caused by uneven terrain or slippery surfaces.
Contact Morgan & Morgan For Your Slip and Fall Case
The impact of a slip and fall can be harsher than you think. Injuries can linger, leading to rising medical expenses and missed time at work, hurting your ability to pay your bills. In times like these, when you were injured due to someone else’s carelessness, it’s important to have Morgan & Morgan by your side, fighting for you.
To learn more, fill out our free case review form for an evaluation of your case.