Car Accident Lawyers in Memphis, TN
Memphis Car Accidents
80 Monroe Ave., Suite 900
Memphis, TN 38103
- $15 Billion+ Won
- 800+ Lawyers Nationwide
- The Fee is FreeTM, Only Pay If We Win
- America’s Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
Memphis Car Accidents
In 2010, there were an astonishing 10.8 million motor vehicle crashes in the United States, with almost 36,000 passenger deaths. In 2010, traffic fatalities amounted to 1,031 in Tennessee, 563 in Arkansas, and 641 in Mississippi. These three states also saw some of the highest fatality rates (deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled) in the country.
Motor vehicle crashes can be debilitating and thus often lead to considerable physical, mental, and financial hardship for victims. The annual cost of car crashes in the United States amounts to around $300 billion, a per person cost of around $1,500.
Were you or someone injured in an automobile wreck in Memphis? If so, fill out our simple online form for a free consultation.
Causes of Auto Accidents
In Tennessee, the most common causes of auto crashes include:
- Distracted driving including drivers talking on the phone, texting, rubbernecking
- Recklessness or aggressive driving including speeding, tailgating, failure to yield, unsafe lane changes, failure to signal, wrong-way driving, road rage, and street racing
- Negligence including accidentally running stop signs and running red lights (can also be considered reckless)
- Drowsy drivers including those who have under slept and those taking medicine that causes drowsiness
- Impaired drivers including driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs
- Defective parts including faulty brakes, tires, steering, suspension, and safety equipment
- Unmaintained automobiles including improperly secured materials, bad brakes, broken signal light, and non-functional headlight
- Inclement weather including snow, sleet, hail, rain, wind, ice, and fog
- Roadway design including hazard visibility, traffic flow, road surfaces, improper striping, defective traffic control devices, and insufficient shoulder
- Road conditions including poor road maintenance, debris on the road, faulty signage, construction, and potholes
Steps After a Car Accident
The first, and arguably most important, step after a wreck is to find out who was liable for the wreck. An experienced lawyer will investigate whether other driver violated a law or whether the involved cars had any defect prior to the incident. There are four kinds of fault that Morgan & Morgan investigators will look for:
- Negligence: Failure to act responsibly that leads to damage or injury.
- Recklessness or wanton conduct: Willfully ignoring the chance of a crash and the safety of others.
- Intentional misconduct: Deliberately performing an action that could harm someone or something, such as driving while intoxicated, speeding excessively, or when a knowingly selling defective or dangerous products.
- Strict liability: In the case of crashes, this references defects, where fault is assigned to the manufacturer if the design of the vehicle was defective or the warning was inadequate.
How a Memphis Car Accident Attorney Can Help
After a wreck, it is absolutely crucial to gather evidence such as such as police reports, witness statements, blood alcohol level (BAC) tests, and cell phone records to find out who is liable. Your lawyer will analyze the evidence and prove that the other driver behave irresponsibly and violated a statute of breached common law. Then, he or she will file a lawsuit to recover compensation (through a settlement or verdict) for current and future medical bills, lost wages, property damages, and pain and suffering.
Morgan & Morgan
Should I Visit a Doctor After a Memphis Car Accident?
Yes. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle collision, seek a medical assessment. Even if you do not believe you have been hurt, you should still speak with a medical professional.
Many common types of car accident injuries do not cause immediate symptoms. If you are unaware of an injury, you may fail to pursue the total damages you are owed.
Seeking medical care immediately following a car crash will ensure that you receive a reliable diagnosis. A physician can also start you on an effective treatment plan.
It is important to visit a doctor for the sake of your health and well-being. But doing so is also crucial if you hope to file a successful civil claim for damages.
Speaking with a physician soon after a crash will allow you to determine the financial cost of any injuries you sustained. The skilled legal professionals at Morgan and Morgan can help you accurately calculate the value of your claim, no matter what injuries you have suffered.