Coronavirus Nursing Home Neglect in Kentucky
Nursing home residents make up a significant portion of Kentucky’s COVID-19 cases, as dozens of facilities have reported positive tests. This trend is alarming, considering the elderly are particularly at risk for severe illness from the novel coronavirus.
In this challenging time, long-term care facilities must do all they can to keep the virus from spreading and affecting residents and front-line workers. Although most nursing homes have done an excellent job responding to the crisis, others have fallen short.
If you suspect a nursing home didn’t take appropriate steps to prepare for or respond to the pandemic and it caused you or a loved one harm, the attorneys at our Kentucky offices are here to help.
Contact us for a free, no-risk case evaluation.
What Responsibilities Do Nursing Homes Have During COVID-19?
Generally speaking, nursing homes can be held legally responsible for any number of failures, including:
- Negligent hiring
- Inadequate training
- Medication errors
- Physical, emotional, or financial abuse
In addition, they can be held liable if they fail to appropriately respond to an emergency situation such as a pandemic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offered guidelines for nursing homes to protect residents and staff from serious illness and complications due to COVID-19. They include:
- Restricting volunteers, visitors, and non-essential healthcare personnel
- Screening residents for symptoms of COVID-19 on a daily basis
- Isolating symptomatic residents
- Enforcing social distancing
- Instructing residents to wear a cloth face covering when around others
- Designating a space to care for those who have confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19
- Monitoring ill residents at least three times a day to identify those who may need a higher level of care
Contact Morgan & Morgan
If a nursing home failed to take any of the above measures and it led to you or a loved one getting sick, contact one of our Kentucky offices. Over the span of 30-plus years, Morgan & Morgan attorneys have won upwards of $9 billion in settlements and jury verdicts. We may be able to help you, too.
We offer free, no-risk consultations. Find out if you have a case by filling out a brief case evaluation form.