RECOVER COMPENSATION FOR YOUR BICYCLE ACCIDENT INJURY IN NYC
Bicycle Accidents in NYC
Ride your bike through New York City, and it will quickly become apparent that drivers don’t always share the road. Because bicyclists have merely a helmet and pads in the way of protection, they often wind up seriously injured in collisions. The victims of these incidents have a lot to contend with: physical pain, emotional trauma, and financial uncertainty.
The good news is, the highly skilled attorneys in Morgan & Morgan’s New York office have a track record of success in recovering compensation for bicycle accident injury victims.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Even the most courteous and safe bicyclist can wind up severely injured or killed in a motor vehicle accident. In the congested boroughs of New York, riders can be injured due to:
- Distracted Driving: Some motorists don’t pay sufficient attention to their surroundings. They may be using their phone, eating, adjusting the radio, or taking part in another activity that keeps their eyes off the road.
- Left-Hand Turns: When approaching an intersection, aggressive drivers may cut off an approaching cyclist with a left-hand turn.
- Right-Hand Turns: Drivers sometimes fail to acknowledge the bicycle path to their right and turn into an oncoming rider.
- Poor Road Conditions: Loose gravel, potholes, uneven roads, and roads without clearly marked bicycle lanes can pose a threat to bikers.
- Open Car Doors: “Dooring,” or opening a car door into the bike path while a biker is approaching, can cause serious harm to riders.
Types of Bicycle Accident Lawsuits
There are two types of bicycle accident claims:
- Negligence: To demonstrate that the other party was negligent, your lawyer will need to prove that the other party breached a duty of care, that the breach caused the accident, and that the accident caused you harm.
- Product Liability: If a defect in the product contributed to the accident, the plaintiff may make a claim against the bike manufacturer. This will require demonstrating that the product was in an unreasonably dangerous condition when it was sold, that the product was intended to reach the consumer in that condition, and that the plaintiff was injured as a result of using the defective product.
How a Bicycle Accident Attorney Can Help You
Bicycle accident cases can be complex, so it’s important that you hire an attorney who is familiar with handling these types of claims. To recover compensation, your lawyer may take the following actions:
- Review police and accident reports
- Collect witness statements
- Inspect the bicycle for damage
- Re-create the scene of the accident
- Investigate the driving history of the other party
- Review medical records
- Contact experts to analyze the accident
Contact an NYC Bicycle Accident Attorney
At Morgan & Morgan, our attorneys understand how devastating and unfair situations like yours can be and want to fight for the compensation and justice you deserve. We’re a family law firm and treat every client as such, handling your case personally. We get paid only if we win — we never charge by the hour. With more than 500 attorneys and 50 offices nationwide, we have the resources and reach to provide you the best service possible. If you were injured in a bicycle accident, you could be entitled to significant compensation in a personal injury claim. Learn more by filling out a free case evaluation now.