- $13 Billion+ Won
- 800+ Lawyers Nationwide
- The Fee is FreeTM, Only Pay If We Win
- America’s Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
Tricky Driving Laws in NYC
Car accidents happen all the time and can be incredibly dangerous and traumatic for everyone involved. One major cause of car accidents is the failure to follow the traffic laws. Sometimes, this is because they aren’t paying attention, while at other times, it’s because there are confusing laws that the drivers might not be aware of. If you live in New York, it’s important to be aware of the tricky NYC driving laws so you can make sure you’re doing everything in your power to stay safe on the road and to keep others safe. The unfortunate reality is that there will be car accidents and injuries regardless.
If you or a loved one was injured in a NYC car accident and you believe it was someone else’s fault, you should contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to see what your options are. You could be entitled to compensation that will help you pay for medical expenses and cover your lost wages if you’re unable to work for a period of time. Morgan & Morgan is always available to help you with your car accident case. As America’s largest personal injury firm, we have handled countless car accident cases throughout the country and in New York City. Contact Morgan & Morgan today for a free consultation.
Tricky Driving Laws in NYC
New York City and New York state in general has several tricky driving laws that many people aren’t aware of, especially if they’re just passing through. The following are some of the most important trick driving laws to be aware of if you find yourself in New York:
- No Turn on Red. While many states allow drivers to turn right on red unless there’s a sign specifically stating that it’s prohibited, New York is not one of those states. In NYC, drivers are never allowed to turn right on red unless there is a sign specifically stating that it is allowed.
- No Left Turns During Certain Hours. On some roads, you won’t be able to turn left during certain hours of the day. This can be confusing because sometimes you can turn left. Make sure you read all of the signs so you don’t end up getting a ticket.
- No Speeding Past Sanitation Trucks. We all get stuck behind large slow trucks sometimes. In New York, make sure you don’t get annoyed and speed past a sanitation truck, no matter how slow it’s going. This is illegal and you can get pulled over and ticketed for this.
- Properly Use Your Headlights. In New York, you must turn on your headlights within 30 minutes after sunset and up until 30 minutes before sunrise. You are also required to use your headlights in New York if it is foggy outside. Many people just leave their headlights on the automatic setting, but this could end up getting you in trouble.
- Bicycles Must Follow Traffic Laws. While this is the case in most states, it’s important to reiterate that in New York City, bicyclists must follow the rules of the road. They must stop at traffic lights and stop signs, and other drivers must yield to them when necessary, just as they would with another motor vehicle.
- You Cannot Ride a Horse at Night. In the entire State of New York, it is illegal to ride a horse on the road at night.
- No Smoking With Minors. In New York, it’s illegal to smoke in a car if there is anyone under the age of 18 in the vehicle with you. You can be fined, even if it is your first offense or if you weren’t aware of the rule.
- Only Honk When Necessary. In New York, it’s illegal to honk unless there’s a reason to do so. Aimless honking is considered unlawful. While most people probably don’t follow this law, it’s still important to know that it exists.
While some of these rules might seem a little silly, it’s important to follow all the traffic laws in the city and state you’re driving through. You could end up being pulled over and fined a significant amount of money otherwise.
Morgan & Morgan FAQs
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Car Accident Cases in NYC?
In New York City, the statute of limitations for car accident cases is three years. This means you have three years from the date of the accident to file a civil claim. If you fail to file it within three years, the defendant will certainly bring a motion to have the case dismissed, and you won’t be able to recover any compensation.
Keep in mind that if you lost a loved one in a car accident in NYC, the statute of limitations is shorter. When you bring a wrongful death suit in New York, you only have two years to file the claim.
While both two and three years might sound like a long time, it’s important to realize that time passes quickly, and evidence can fade away or disappear the longer you wait. Contact an attorney right away so they can speak with witnesses, obtain video footage, and put together the strongest case possible for you.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
If you were injured in a car accident in New York, you should consider contacting a lawyer right away for a number of reasons. If you believe the accident was someone else’s fault, you could be eligible to recover monetary compensation to help you pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional injuries such as pain and suffering. If you don’t have a lawyer, it’s likely that the insurance company will try to get you to accept a low settlement offer as quickly as possible. Many people are tempted to take the quick cash and don’t realize that it’s not even close to the amount that they’re actually entitled to. Insurance companies have lawyers, and their job is to make sure the company is as profitable as possible. To do this, they offer low settlements and hope victims will accept them so that they can’t then file a personal injury lawsuit. If you have legal representation, it's much less likely that the insurance company will try to take advantage of you.
Additionally, hiring a lawyer to help you handle the complicated legal aspects of the case allows you to focus on your recovery and healing. It’s difficult enough to deal with injuries from a car accident without also having to navigate the complicated legal system in America. Personal injury lawyers are experienced and well-versed in these types of cases, so they can make it as stress-free as possible for you.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
If you were involved in a car accident in New York City, you should call 911 as soon as it’s safe to do so. Make sure you’re not in the middle of the road and at risk of being hit. Wait for law enforcement to arrive so they can survey the scene, take notes, write up an accident report, talk to you, the other driver, and witnesses, and help you exchange insurance information with the other party. This is helpful if the other party is at fault, and you decide in the future to file a personal injury claim. The accident report can serve as an unbiased account of what may have happened or what caused the accident.
It’s also helpful to take pictures of the accident, including your car, the other party’s car, any injuries you can see, and anything else in the area that you believe is relevant and will help show that the other party was responsible for the accident.
After law enforcement arrives and you are finished speaking with them, you should consider going to get checked out by a medical professional. Even if you don’t feel injured, this is still a good idea. Some injuries that result from car accidents are internal and you might not even be aware that you have them. Additionally, your adrenaline is likely pumping, which often means you don’t feel pain – or as much pain – so you might not even realize you’re injured until much later. Seeing a medical professional as soon as possible can prevent complications from injuries and ensure that you receive the care you need.
Finally, contacting an experienced personal injury attorney is a good idea so they can help you determine if you have the grounds to file a civil claim. They can also help you deal with the insurance company, and they may be able to get you the compensation you deserve without having to go to court.
Morgan & Morgan Can Help
Now that you’re familiar with some of the tricky NYC driving laws, you should be better equipped to keep yourself safe on the road. Unfortunately, other drivers may not be as well versed in these laws and might be driving while distracted or even under the influence. It’s guaranteed that accidents will happen – no matter how safe you try to be. If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being injured in a car accident, you should contact a personal injury lawyer right away – especially if you believe the accident was someone else’s fault. If another party was negligent and that caused the accident, you might be entitled to collect substantial compensation as a result.
Morgan & Morgan can help you. We have been handling car accident cases in New York City for decades, and we will do everything in our power to make sure you get the justice and compensation that you and your family deserve. We handle all our cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning we only get paid if we win or settle your case. You never have to pay anything upfront, which means there’s no financial risk to you in moving forward with a civil claim. All of the attorneys at Morgan & Morgan treat their clients the same way they’d want their own family members to be treated. We are here for you. Contact Morgan & Morgan today for a free consultation.