Philadelphia Lyft Accidents
Philadelphia residents and visitors have an abundance of transportation options at their fingertips. Ridesharing companies such as Lyft have emerged as one of the most popular ways to get around. Rather than drive, call a taxi, or navigate the city by foot, you can simply open an app on your smartphone, order a ride, and be on your way in a matter of minutes.
Although most of the time Lyft drivers take their passengers from Point A to Point B without incident, accidents do happen. The end result can be devastating: serious injuries, time missed from work, and mounting medical bills. You might be wondering, what happens if I get hurt as a passenger in a Lyft vehicle?
The Nuances of Rideshare Accidents
A car accident can be confusing when a rideshare company is involved because you might not know who is liable for the wreck. If, for example, you suffer an injury in a taxi, you can hold the company responsible for any resulting damages because the driver is an employee. But Lyft drivers are independent contractors, so their actions are not necessarily the responsibility of the company itself. Who might be financially responsible?
- The Lyft Driver: If the Lyft driver has a commercial insurance policy or provision in their regular policy that covers ridesharing, you may be able recover compensation from them.
- Lyft: Because Lyft drivers are classified as independent contractors, it’s tough to hold the company responsible for an accident. However, Lyft’s commercial liability insurance covers up to $1 million in damages per person, per accident.
- The Other Driver: You can sue the other driver’s insurance company if they were at fault for the crash.
To make sense of it all, you need attorneys on your side who understand auto insurance policies and can determine liability in any scenario. Our licensed attorneys are well-versed in these matters, as well as the ways insurance companies try to get victims to settle for less, or to deny their claims outright.
After a Lyft Accident
It’s imperative that you take certain precautions following an accident to protect your safety and arrive at the best possible financial outcome:
- Call the authorities and remain at the site of the accident
- Collect insurance information from all parties involved
- Get contact information for any potential eyewitnesses
- Photograph the scene of the crash and your injuries
- Accept medical attention even if you don’t think you’re hurt (sometimes injuries appear later on that aren’t immediately apparent)
- Contact a Morgan & Morgan Lyft accident lawyer
Contact a Philadelphia Lyft Accident Lawyer
At Morgan & Morgan, we understand the temptation to settle your claim as soon as possible, but doing so rarely results in the best outcome. If you were injured in a Lyft accident, let our attorneys fight on your behalf to secure the compensation you deserve. You may be able to recover damages for your past and future medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, diminished earning capacity, permanent disfigurement, and more.
Schedule a free consultation to discuss your case. It costs nothing to get started, and we get paid only if you win. Contact us today.
Offices near You
Current call wait: 11 seconds