- Pennsylvania (PA) Overtime Labor & Pay Laws
- Pursuing Justice for Pennsylvania Victims of Child Sexual Abuse
- Dental Malpractice Attorneys in Pennsylvania (PA)
- Labor Laws in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Wrongful Termination Lawyers
- How to Hire the Best Discrimination Lawyer in PA
- How to Hire the Best Fire Injury Lawyers in PA
- How to Find the Best Real Estate Dispute Attorney in Pennsylvania
- What Are the Mandatory Overtime Laws in Pennsylvania?
- Where Can I Find the Best Rental Car Accident Lawyers in Pennsylvania?
- What Are Some Weird Driving Rules in Pennsylvania?
- What Is the Workers' Compensation Process in Pennsylvania?
- What Are the Employment Laws in Pennsylvania?
- Where Can I Find the Best Ski Accident Lawyers in Pennsylvania?
- What Should I Do if I Was Wrongly Accused of a Crime in Pennsylvania?
- How to Report a Nursing Home in Pennsylvania
What Are Some Noteworthy Juul Pod Lawsuit Cases in Pennsylvania?
The e-cigarette manufacturer JUUL Labs has maintained that its mission is to provide a safer alternative for adults smoking traditional cigarettes. However, JUUL pods' rise to market domination began in earnest when the company targeted young adults and teens with its hip marketing campaigns and fruity flavors. Easy to conceal vape pens containing an addictive substance (nicotine) resulted in what some have called a “pandemic” of young people hooked on JUUL.
However, JUUL is far from a safe option and has caused addiction issues and severe illnesses among some users. There are now a growing number of JUUL pod cases in Pennsylvania. If you or your child suffered harm due to the popular vape pen, our dedicated and experienced attorneys could fight for what you deserve. Contact us today for a free case review.
What Are JUUL Pods?
JUULs are a type of e-cigarette containing a pod with nicotine, flavoring, and chemicals. The device does not use fire or smoke and resembles a USB flash drive or pen, making it easy to conceal. Currently, all JUUL pods contain nicotine. According to the American Lung Association, the amount of nicotine in a JUUL e-cigarette can be equivalent to a whole pack of cigarettes.
What Is the Controversy With E-Cigarettes Such as JUUL?
Many users of e-cigarettes believe that vaping is healthier than smoking. Although some e-cigarettes can be less toxic than cigarettes, most contain nicotine and harmful chemicals. JUUL and other e-cigarettes have also come under fire due to their targeted advertising and appeal to children and adolescents. As a result, there have been a number of lawsuits against the manufacturer in Pennsylvania and all over the country. The lawsuits allege, among other issues:
- Vaping causes serious health problems, such as addiction, lung disease, and heart attacks.
- The company did not adequately warn of its products’ dangers, such as hazardous chemicals.
- JUUL marketed their products specifically towards children and adolescents.
- E-cigarette advertising misleads consumers into believing that vaping is much safer than smoking.
Noteworthy JUUL Pod Cases in Pennsylvania
State of Pennsylvania v JUUL
A notable recent lawsuit is that of the State of Pennsylvania against JUUL Labs, Inc., filed by the attorney general in early 2020. The lawsuit alleges that JUUL improperly marketed its vape pens to adolescents and misled e-cigarette users about the health risks of the product. The case also calls for a ban on JUUL products.
The City of Philadelphia v JUUL
The City of Philadelphia filed a lawsuit against JUUL Labs in October 2020 in an attempt to hold the company accountable for fostering what city officials called “an epidemic of e-cigarette use” among young people and teenagers.
Individual Personal Injury Lawsuits
In addition to state and city action, multiple individuals have also filed lawsuits against the e-cigarette manufacturer in Pennsylvania:
- A 21-year-old Pennsylvania resident developed a severe lung condition and could not breathe unaided after his lungs filled with blood. He had to be placed on life support and an artificial coma for two weeks. The individual alleges that his health problems are due to using a JUUL pod, and he is suing JUUL Labs for damages.
- A Westmoreland County woman who suffered seizures and other impairments sued JUUL, alleging that her health issues occurred from vape pen use. She suffered two seizures, both occurring half an hour after using the vape pen and requiring hospitalization.
- A family from Lehigh County sued JUUL after their teenager became addicted to the nicotine in vape pens. The lawsuit alleges, like many others, that JUUL deliberately marketed its vaping products towards teens and young adults.
You Could File a Lawsuit Against JUUL
In addition to the lawsuits above, JUUL is a defendant in hundreds of individual and class-action lawsuits filed throughout the country. If you or a loved one was harmed due to using JUUL, you could file or participate in a lawsuit against the vape pen manufacturer.
Health Conditions Caused by JUUL Pods
Although considered safer than smoking by many, JUULs and other e-cigarettes can cause serious health and addiction problems.
EVALI is an acronym for e-cigarette or vaping-use associated lung injury. The condition can severely damage the lungs and often starts with flu-like symptoms. Some patients with serious EVALI require hospital stays and a ventilator. Symptoms of EVALI include:
- Chest pain
- Abdominal pain
- Difficulty breathing
Addiction to Nicotine
JUUL pods contain considerable amounts of nicotine. Nicotine is not only an addictive substance but also toxic to fetuses and harmful to young people’s brain development.
In addition to nicotine, the aerosols in vape pens can contain a range of other harmful and toxic substances.
Short and Long-Term Side Effects
Some of the short-term side effects of using e-cigarettes can include:
- Dry mouth
- Breathing difficulties
- Increased heart rate
While the long-term side effects of e-cigarettes are not fully understood to date, the American Journal of Managed Care (AJMC) states that long-term e-cigarette users may be more at risk for developing certain diseases and conditions, including:
- Heart attacks
- Coronary heart disease
- Emotional problems
E-cigarettes have also been linked to:
- Lung diseases
- Respiratory illnesses
- Fertility problems
- Low birth weights
If you have any of the symptoms mentioned or others, seek medical advice promptly. Ensure to tell your medical provider that you are an e-cigarette user. You should also speak to a lawyer as you may qualify for compensation.
Victims of JUUL Pods Could Receive Damages
Developing a severe disease or becoming addicted to e-cigarettes can cause steep medical expenses, lost income, and other damages. However, victims could hold the manufacturer to account for their losses and recover compensation, including but not limited to:
- Healthcare expenses and future medical costs
- Lost wages and future lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
An attorney at Morgan & Morgan can assess your case and determine whether you could file a lawsuit and seek damages.