Charleston, SC Insurance Claim
When you purchase an insurance policy, you expect the insurance company to honor the coverage that’s been agreed upon. Unfortunately, insurance companies have been found to deny and undervalue perfectly legitimate claims in an effort to protect their bottom line. If you believe your insurance claim was incorrectly denied or undervalued, we may be able to help.
What is Bad Faith?
Insurance plans are purchased to mitigate potential losses after an unforeseen event. You pay a premium to ensure that your insurance provider will be there for you when you need them. When you place a claim, and it’s not handled correctly, you might wonder what you were paying for in the first place. “Bad faith” is a term used to describe insurance companies’ deceitful practices when evaluating a client’s claim. Some examples of insurance companies acting in bad faith include:
- Unreasonably delaying a claim with no explanation
- Misrepresenting the amount of a claim (“Lowballing”)
- Threatening a client about making a claim
- Denying a claim before an investigation is performed
- Intentionally withholding information regarding a claim
- Altering the policy so a certain situation is no longer covered
- Suddenly cancelling a policy before the client is paid
What Protections Are Provided By the State of South Carolina?
In South Carolina, you’re entitled to recover damages associated with a fraudulent claim denial if it can be proven that the insurance company acted in bad faith. This law applies to any of the aforementioned scenarios and was put in place to protect you against deceptive and misleading business practices.
Proving an insurance claim has been handled inappropriately requires a keen eye for detail, as insurance companies will do their best to hide their actions to avoid financial consequences. This can be a tricky process, however, and it helps to have an attorney you can trust on your side.
What Types of Insurance Disputes Does Morgan & Morgan Handle?
Our team of insurance claim attorneys are all well-versed in all aspects of insurance law. Some of our areas of expertise include:
- Homeowner and Business Property Losses
- Unfair Claims Handling and Bad Faith
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) Claims
- Professional Liability Coverage
- Errors & Omissions Coverage (E&O)
- Personal Injury Protection
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- Car Insurance Coverage
- Medical Billing
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Fire Damage
- Hurricane and Windstorm Claims
Contact a Charleston Insurance Claim Lawyer
If you believe your claim was incorrectly denied or undervalued, contact our Charleston office. We take our fee out of the winnings so you don’t have to worry about affording quality legal representation.
Fill out a free, no risk case evaluation today. We’ve won over $9 billion for our clients and are eager to include you in our success.