Houston, TX Hurricane Insurance Claims
Houston has been hit with its fair share of devastating hurricanes. Harvey, which brought intense floods to the area in 2017, is but one example. Hurricanes Ike and Rita also remain fresh in the minds of many.
Storms like these can cause extensive damage to homes and businesses. The last thing you need as a property owner is to be hung out to dry by your insurance provider.
Unfortunately, insurance companies tend to make things difficult. Because these corporations are primarily concerned with their bottom line, they often act against the best interest of their policyholders.
If you run into trouble, contact Morgan & Morgan’s Houston office. Our attorneys understand how to hold insurance companies accountable, no matter how big and powerful they are. To get started, schedule a free, no-risk case evaluation.
Types of Hurricane Damage
Characterized by sustained strong winds and torrential rain, hurricanes are vicious storms. They can cause significant property damage including:
- Flooding and water damage
- Power outages
- Electrical damage
- Roof damage
- Fire damage
- Broken windows and doors
- Structural damage
What To Do After a Hurricane
If a hurricane affects your property, be sure to take the following steps once you can safely do so:
- Photograph everything: Take photographs of your home and yard from every angle inside and out to capture all of your damaged property.
- Document your losses: Compile a list of all property damage sustained in the storm, no matter how big or small the items.
- File a claim: Your policy likely requires you to file a claim quickly, so do so as soon as possible – in as much detail as you can – to avoid missing potential deadlines.
Potential Hurdles With the Insurance Company
Even if you do everything by the book, your insurance provider might make things difficult through any number of dishonest and deceitful tactics. For example, they might:
- Deny your claim without reason
- Say you don’t have coverage when you do
- Refuse to investigate your claim
- Delay the processing or payment of your claim
- Undervalue the damage you sustained
- Fail to communicate with you
- Misrepresent language in your policy
- Ask that you contribute financially when you don’t have to
- Make unreasonable demands regarding proof of loss
- Insist you don’t need an attorney
Our lawyers understand how to identify and counter these tactics and maximize the compensation you receive. Don’t settle for less; contact us for a free case review.
Contact Our Houston Office
If you encounter problems with the insurance company following a hurricane, contact our Houston office. We may be able to help you recover full and fair compensation for your losses.
As America’s largest plaintiffs’ firm, we have the resources to take on any insurance company, no matter how big and powerful. What’s more, we work on a contingency, meaning we don’t get paid unless you win.
Schedule your free, no-obligation consultation today. There’s only one Morgan & Morgan.