Whether they are homeowners or proprietors of a public establishment, property owners are obligated to keep their property in safe conditions. If the property is unsafe to walk in, accidents can happen very quickly. If you’ve been the victim of an accident caused by a property owner’s carelessness in maintaining their property, you could have options for compensation.
The premises liability attorneys in our Boston office may be able to help you recover compensation for the injuries you have suffered while on another’s property. While there are many types of premises liability cases, ranging from elevator accidents to negligent security claims, these types of cases most commonly involve slip and fall accidents.
If you were injured after you slipped or tripped and fell, get in touch with Morgan & Morgan to find out if you have a case. You may be entitled to compensation for lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering and other damages.
Elements of a Slip and Fall Claim
If you have suffered an injury as a result of a dangerous property condition, you may have a viable claim for damages if the following two elements are satisfied:
- The property owner knew or should have known that the property contained a dangerous condition; and
- The property owner did not repair the dangerous condition or provide notice to visitors regarding the dangerous condition.
In general, a property condition is considered dangerous if:
- It presents an unreasonable risk of harm to the people on the property; and
- A reasonable person would not have anticipated that the condition existed.
This negligence and carelessness is the key to any slip and fall claim. It proves the property owner is directly responsible for your injury and was aware of the danger.
How an Attorney Can Help
Morgan & Morgan attorneys understand the specifics of premises liability law and how to handle slip and fall cases. We also know that Massachusetts law gives you three years to file a lawsuit, and are ready to start helping you as soon as possible.
We recommend coming to us as soon as possible because to prove your claim and try to ensure you compensation, we go hard to work at building a strong case that proves you were hurt by someone else’s negligence, and our investigations are exhaustive. The investigations your slip and fall lawyer will conduct often include:
Prepare your Claim: A Boston slip and fall attorney will review the facts of your trip and fall accident to determine if you have a viable claim for damages. In preparing your claim, your attorney may:
- Collect evidence, such as photographs or video surveillance footage of the scene of the accident;
- Interview any witnesses who may be able to offer testimony regarding the cause of the accident;
- Determine who may be held liable for the damages you have suffered; Review police reports and accident records; or
- Gather and review all pertinent medical records to understand the extent of your injuries.
Working with Medical Experts: Your attorney can work with medical experts who may be used to evaluate the extent of your injuries and explain to a jury how the slip and fall accident caused your injuries. The medical expert may also be used to explain any future medical care that you will need as a result of the accident.
Determining and attempting to secure compensation: By filing a slip and fall lawsuit, you may be able to receive compensation for past and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. In cases involving severe injuries that render you unable to return to work, you may be able to receive compensation for your reduced earning capacity.
Other Premises Liability Cases Our Attorneys Handle
Our premises liability attorneys do not limit their practice to slip and fall claims. We also represent clients in the following types of cases in Massachusetts:
- Swimming pool accidents, including cases involving improperly secured or supervised pool areas;
- Escalator and elevator accidents;
- Assaults due to negligent or inadequate security;
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals or toxic materials, including mold and lead paint;
- Injuries from falling objects;
- Failure to warn a visitor of a dangerous condition on the property;
- Inadequate maintenance;
- Injuries at restaurants and bars;
- Exposed tree roots;
- Dog bites;
- Collapsed decks and balconies;
- Defective stairs and railings, including broken steps and missing handrails; and
- Accidents caused by uneven terrain or slippery surfaces.
Contact Morgan & Morgan
The impact of a slip and fall can be harsher than you think. Injuries can linger, leading to rising medical expenses and missed time at work, hurting your ability to pay your bills. In times like these, when you were injured due to someone else’s carelessness, it’s important to have Morgan & Morgan by your side, fighting for you. To learn more, fill out our free case review form for an evaluation of your case.