Why Contact Morgan & Morgan?
Physically recovering from an injury is just the beginning, as the financial losses you accumulate may become more stressful than the injury itself. When dealing with the stress of recovery, it’s difficult to enter a legal battle and negotiate with the defendant’s insurance company on your own. We’re here to help. We won’t accept an inadequate settlement offer, and we’ll go to trial if necessary.
Can I Afford a Lawyer?
At Morgan & Morgan, we believe that a person’s financial means shouldn’t dictate whether or not they’re fairly represented in an injury case. That’s why our lawyers operate on a contingency basis, meaning you don’t pay out of pocket for our services. It costs nothing to get started and our fee is a fraction of the settlement or jury verdict we obtain.
How Much Is My Case Worth?
Without first reviewing the facts of your case, it’s difficult to estimate the amount of compensation you should receive. There are many factors that go into determining what you’re owed, and it takes a trained eye to identify the full scope of your short- and long-term losses. However, you can rest assured that our attorneys will fight to recover all relevant damages, potentially including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Property damage
- Punitive damages
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral expenses (if you’re filing on behalf of a loved one)
Is It Worth It to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you have been injured, especially if you’ve been injured unexpectedly as a result of someone else’s negligence, you may already feel overwhelmed by your unnecessary suffering. While doing your best to move forward, you shouldn’t have to navigate the complexities of a lawsuit alone or to independently research your claim to find if you may be entitled to compensation.
The simple answer is “yes.” Hiring an attorney is absolutely worth it, especially since, with Morgan and Morgan, you don’t pay a dime until we win your case.
There, however, two main reasons someone may forgo proper legal representation when handling their situation:
- Attempting to represent yourself: Attempting to handle a claim on your own only to hire a lawyer later may complicate the claim process, so it's important to understand what you're capable of and what's at stake if you mishandle your case. In many cases, as at Morgan and Morgan, your attorney doesn't get paid unless you do. This is not to mention the fact that if you aren't familiar with the law and the best legal strategies to pursue, you may overlook an important aspect of your case that will prevent you from recovering as much as you might have been able to otherwise. Additionally, representing yourself will be time-consuming and stressful—when you should be spending that time focusing on your recovery instead.
- Assuming that insurance companies will be reasonable and fair: Sometimes, people decide not to hire a personal injury attorney because they think they will be able to effectively negotiate with the insurance company themselves. While this may work for a lucky few, it is important to remember that insurance companies are businesses. They are typically trying to save as much money as possible, and this means paying out minimal amounts on your claims whenever they can. When you hire a personal injury attorney, you’re choosing to have someone on your side that will fight for you and for the maximum amount of compensation you deserve.
Ultimately, there are many benefits to hiring a personal injury attorney. You increase your chances of receiving the maximum amount of compensation that you’re entitled to when you have a legal team on your side that knows and understands the law. You can also have a better idea of what damages you might be able to seek, and you will be able to pursue the best legal strategies to receive those benefits. You save time, reduce stress, and make more space to focus on what’s truly most important—your health and moving forward with those you love. Leaving the legal matters to the experts is well worth it, and an essential step to increasing your chances of a smooth and successful claim process.
When Should You Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you have been injured in an accident, the most important priority is getting medical attention. If you suspect that someone else may have been at fault, the very next step should be to set up a consultation with an attorney to discuss your options. At Morgan and Morgan, you can discuss your situation with one of our specialists and see if you have a case for free.
It’s important to speak to an attorney as soon as possible. Here are a few reasons why:
- The statute of limitations may expire: A statute of limitations is essentially a deadline. Each state has its own statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim. This means that if you fail to file your claim within the statute of limitations, you lose your chance to bring your claim at all. It’s best to contact an attorney immediately following the accident.
- You may be uncertain about the circumstances of your accident: When accidents happen, there can be many factors at play, and the circumstances can be complicated. You may wonder if the other party was entirely at fault, or if you may also be liable, at least partially, for your injury. Before you make any statements or sign anything with an insurance company or with opposing legal counsel, it’s important to consult your own attorney. Doing so can save you from costly mistakes that may jeopardize your case in the long run.
- You’re worried about how you will provide for your family: Many people who find themselves unexpectedly involved in an accident are also unable to work. They may be temporarily unable to work, or they may be permanently disabled. Medical expenses can pile onto your other bills. It can be overwhelming to try and imagine how you will face those expenses, provide for your family, and try to recover from your accident. A knowledgeable and experienced personal injury attorney can help you know what to expect, so you can plan ahead with peace of mind.
Speaking to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after an injury is important. It can be the difference between a successful claim where you receive the compensation you deserve and a stressful, difficult process where you walk away with far less than you are truly entitled to.
To ensure that you maximize your chances of recovery, you want a legal team that knows how to fight for you. Morgan and Morgan is that team, with a hard reputation of fighting for clients just like you for over 30 years. We are proud of our reputation for winning billions on behalf of clients across the country, and we would be honored to fight for you too. Contact us at any time.
What Kinds of Cases Do Personal Injury Lawyers Handle?
In general, a personal injury case is a lawsuit that someone files to seek compensation after they have been injured or harmed in some way—usually as a result of someone else’s negligence or intentionally harmful behavior. Some of the various types of cases that personal injury lawyers handle include:
- Medical malpractice: Most people visit a doctor or other medical provider for help and healing following an injury. Understandably then, it can be shocking and unsettling when that medical provider actually causes an injury instead. Certainly, there are cases in which medical procedures are unsuccessful—and sometimes, that isn’t the fault of anyone in particular. In other situations, however, a medical provider’s negligence may have directly caused the patient’s injury. When that occurs, there may be a valid basis for a personal injury claim.
- Premises liability: When we visit a store or a business or when we are invited onto someone else's property, we have a reasonable expectation that the property will be safe. Often, however, customers experience slip-and-fall accidents inside of a store or on an icy sidewalk that hasn't been properly shoveled and salted. When those hazards are present as a result of the negligence of the property owner, you may have the right to file a personal injury claim to recover from your injuries.
- Motor vehicle accidents: Each year, thousands of personal injury claims are filed as a result of motor vehicle accidents, be it in cars, motorcycles, or even semi-trucks. If you are the victim of any type of motor vehicle accident that was caused by the negligence of another driver, you may be entitled to compensation by filing a personal injury claim.
- Boating and aviation accidents: While perhaps not as common as motor vehicle accidents, boating and aviation accidents can and do occur, and when they happen, the resulting injuries can be severe. If those accidents were the result of negligence, recovery may be available by filing a personal injury suit.
- Products liability: As a consumer, you have the right to expect that the products you purchase will be designed and manufactured with reasonable care and will be safe to use as intended. Sometimes, however, a product, drug, or a medical device can be manufactured in a way that falls short of this expectation. It could be that the product itself is defectively designed, or in other cases, there may have been a defect in the manufacturing process. Regardless, if you have been injured by a defective product, a personal injury lawyer may be able to help.
- Wrongful death: Losing a loved one is tremendously painful. There is no amount of money or compensation that can replace a loved one or fill the empty space left behind. However, it's important to know that if you've lost a loved one as a result of someone else's negligent or intentionally-harmful behavior, you may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim to recover compensation for your loss.
There are a variety of types of personal injury cases, and the laws regarding each type of case can be complex. That’s why it’s important to have a legal team on your side who knows and understands the law and how best to fight for you. At Morgan and Morgan, we are that team. We understand personal injury law, and we have decades of experience helping countless clients recover the compensation they deserve.
What Percentage Do Lawyers Take for Personal Injury?
A primary reason people may be reluctant to hire a lawyer is out of fear of paying legal fees. But the lawyers of Morgan and Morgan work on something called a contingency basis. This means that your personal injury lawyer will not be paid any money or legal fees unless you win your case or settle outside of court. You can even get a consultation for free, before you even have determined whether you have a case.
Below is a breakdown of typical legal expenses and how they’re handled:
- How much money will I receive? This will vary from case to case. Each accident happens under different circumstances, and as a result, no one case is like any other. The amount of damages you recover will depend upon many factors. Ultimately, however, your attorney will likely receive a percentage of your settlement or damages award.
- How are the fees determined? Often, attorneys will handle personal injury cases on a “contingency fee” basis. This simply means that the lawyer’s fees for representing the client are ultimately “contingent” upon the client receiving a settlement or award. In contingency fee situations, if the client doesn’t receive a favorable outcome and recover compensation, then the attorney collects no fees. Often, a contingency fee will be calculated as a certain percentage of a settlement or award, and the exact percentage may vary depending upon the firm, the particular attorney, and the circumstances of your case. In a case where settlement is reached almost immediately, the fee may be slightly different than a case that requires years of ongoing litigation. As a result, discussing these matters and determining exactly what percentage your attorney might charge ahead of time is always an important conversation to have.
- When will the lawyers be paid? In many personal injury cases, an attorney is only paid if, and after, a settlement or award of damages is reached.
- Can I afford it? Ideally, in a contingency fee situation, very little, if any, money comes out of your pocket until you recover a settlement. This certainly makes hiring an attorney more affordable and more financially reasonable than you might initially expect.
As you consider the cost of hiring legal help, it is important to remember that not all law firms are equal. At Morgan and Morgan, we don’t get paid until you do. We don’t settle for less, and neither should you. When you win, we win. As our client, we believe you deserve nothing less. We are for the people, and we’re here for you.
Contact Our Philadelphia Office
Don’t navigate a complicated legal process alone. Instead, team up with America’s leading plaintiffs’ firm. By doing so, you’ll dramatically increase your odds of recovering the full compensation you’re owed.
With more than $9 billion won for our clients and an army of over 500 trial-ready attorneys on your side, Morgan & Morgan is the clear choice. Complete your free, no-risk case evaluation today.