It may seem simple to apply online for Social Security disability benefits—the tricky part is getting approved. An SSA Annual Report revealed that, on average, a slim 36 percent of claims filed from 2004 through 2013 were successful.
Follow some guidelines in order to increase your chances of approval:
- Apply as soon as you become disabled.
- Stay on top of your application. Most of the responsibility for meeting deadlines and requirements falls on you.
- Be meticulous in your medical, personal, and work-related documentation.
- Know the rules about income collection during the application process.
- Be aware that your Social Security disability benefits may affect any other benefits you may be receiving, such as workers’ compensation or unemployment.
- In the likely event that your claim is denied, request an appeal quickly.
Successfully applying for Social Security disability benefits is not as easy as it sounds. Do not hesitate to contact Morgan & Morgan if you need assistance navigating the process.