Nursing Home Abuse

What can I do if my loved one is being abused in a nursing home?

Typically, there are three legal avenues you can pursue: a formal investigation, a civil lawsuit, or criminal litigation.

A formal investigation by adult protective services may provide immediate relief for the resident and hopefully prevent future neglect and abuse in the facility.

A civil lawsuit by the resident and/or his or her family against the facility will seek compensation for losses related to the abuse, including pain and suffering.

Criminal litigation is typically reserved for extreme cases where the facility’s behavior and failure to meet state and federal regulations requires the nursing home to be held accountable for their actions in a court of law.