- Why Social Media Can Be Dangerous for Your Child
- IVC Blood Clot Filter Lawsuit
- Surgical Stapler Lawsuit
- Effexor Birth Defects Lawsuit
- GM Ignition Switch Recall Lawsuit
- Vaginal Mesh Lawsuit
- Avaulta Mesh Lawsuit
- 3M Bair Hugger Lawsuit
- X-LITE Guardrail Lawsuit
- Durata Lead Problems
- DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Lawsuit
- DePuy Hip Implant Recall
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Complications
- Artelon Spacer Problems
- Caldera Medical Mesh Lawsuit
- Breast Implant Lymphoma Lawsuit
- Invega Gynecomastia Lawsuit
- Coloplast Mesh Lawsuit
- Zimmer Biomet Hip Replacement Lawsuit
- Medtronic Defibrillator & Pacemaker Heart Device Recall
- Gynecare Vaginal Mesh Withdrawn
- Mirena IUD Information
- Smith and Nephew Hip Liner Recall
- SSRI Lawsuits
- Peter Pan and Great Value Peanut Butter Contamination
- Shoulder Pain Management Pumps
- OtisKnee Replacement Lawsuit
- Bard Mesh Lawsuit
- Wright Conserve Hip Replacement Lawsuit
- Medical Food Generics
- Tyco Lawsuit
- Mario Badescu Lawsuit
- Synthetic Marijuana Lawsuits
- Zimmer Knee Replacement
- CertainTeed Shingles Lawsuit
- BEHR DeckOver Lawsuit
- Waupaca Elevator Recall Lawsuits
- Sunscreen Recall Lawsuit | Benzene Lawsuit
- What Are the Criteria for a Talcum Powder Lawsuit?
- What Should I Do if My 3M Earplugs Don't Work?
- The Boppy Pillow Recall Lawsuit
- One-Wheel Skateboard Lawsuit
- Monsanto Roundup Lawsuit
- Talcum Powder Lawsuit
- 3M Earplug Lawsuit
- What Does Product Liability Mean to Me?
- Baby Formula NEC Lawsuit
- Baby Formula Enfamil Lawsuit
- Baby Formula Similac Lawsuit
- Hernia Mesh Lawsuits
- Monster Energy Lawsuit
- Sunscreen Recall Lawsuit | Benzene Lawsuit
- Takata Airbag Recall
- Philips CPAP & Sleep Apnea Machine Lawsuit
- Stryker Hip Replacement Recall Lawsuit
- CertainTeed Shingles Lawsuit
- Types of Torts | Mass Tort Information
- Johnson & Johnson Class Action Lawsuit
- Does Taxotere Cause Hair Loss?
- Mini Cooper Timing Chain Recall: What You Need to Know
- Where Can I Find Support for My Mass Tort Case?
- Do I need an Attorney for My Roundup Claim?
- What Is the Latest News on Johnson & Johnson's Talcum Powder Lawsuit?
- What Is the CPAP Machine Lawsuit Process?
- How to File a Lawsuit for a CPAP Machine
- Are ResMed CPAP Machines Being Recalled?
- Is There a Class Action Lawsuit Against Phillips CPAP Machines?
- When Should I Sue for Product Liability?
- What Are Some Signs That You Have a Product Liability Case?
- Does Talcum Powder Cause Ovarian Cancer?
- Can You Sue a Birth Control Company After Getting Pregnant?
- Can Lithium Batteries Explode?
- What Is the Average Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder Settlement?
- What Types of Cancers Can Be Caused by RoundUp?
- What Does "Tort Law" Mean in the Legal Industry?
- Where Can I Find Lawyers Who Handle Mass Tort Issues?
- What Do I Need to Know About Popcorn Lung Disease Litigation?
- Abbott Baby Formula Recall
- Where Can I Find the Best One-Wheel Skateboard Accident Lawyer?
- Popcorn Lung Disease Lawsuits
- Toxic Baby Formula Lawsuit
The defendant in hundreds of lawsuits, JUUL has become virtually synonymous with the term “vape” — and the negative connotations that have developed around it. Although JUUL Labs, Inc. has made some changes to their operations in response to criticisms and allegations, the damage has already been done for many people who became hooked on nicotine by using JUUL products in their youth.
If you or a loved one have become addicted to nicotine by using JUUL devices while under the age of 18, you may be entitled to remuneration. Morgan & Morgan has the skills, experience, and resources to take on the biggest bullies and win, and we’ll fight for your full and fair compensation. Fill out a free case evaluation to get started.
How JUUL Contributes to Addiction in Teens
The goal of providing adult smokers with a healthier alternative to cigarettes is an honorable one, but vaporizer and e-cigarette businesses are responsible for how their products are actually used — not just the way they represent them.
As a leading brand of nicotine vaporizers, JUUL seized their opportunity to tap into an underaged audience. The brand’s irresponsible marketing and product design have influenced young non-smokers to try nicotine, putting them at risk for addiction and the host of health conditions that may follow.
Marketing to Youths
It’s one thing for your product to have unintended consequences, but it’s another to actively influence its irresponsible use. JUUL marketing campaigns have relied heavily on social media applications used by people under the age of 18, and they have often featured young people in their advertisements.
JUUL Labs, Inc. may have changed their marketing direction after being caught in the act, but they were aware of their audience and the potential consequences of their actions. These unethical tactics have contributed to lifelong health problems, and the brand should be held accountable.
While JUUL claims that their goal is to provide adult smokers with a safer alternative, their range of pod flavors suggests otherwise. Products like cucumber and “fruit medley” vape pods are not analogous to existing cigarette flavors; in fact, the FDA banned tobacco companies from selling cigarettes with these types of flavors in 2009.
Since these flavors don’t typically exist in regular smokers’ lives, it’s unlikely that they were intended to provide a safer smoking alternative. Instead, they made nicotine more accessible to young people who didn’t already smoke.
Before discontinuing the majority of its flavors in the U.S., JUUL pod flavor options included:
- Fruit medley
- Cool mint
- Virginia tobacco
High Nicotine Content
The nicotine content in JUUL pods is higher than in most other e-cigarettes, especially among those sold in the United States. This is partially because they contain protonated nicotine, which allows users to absorb higher concentrations than they would from products made with free-base nicotine. Protonated nicotine is less harsh and thus easier to handle for those who were not previously smokers.
Although pods now come in 5% and 3% nicotine versions, JUUL does not manufacture nicotine-free pods; this is in contrast to some of the other leading e-cigarette and vape brands, who (at least partially) cater to smokers who are trying to gradually break the habit.
Easily Concealed Devices
To the average non-smoker, a JUUL device doesn’t necessarily look like a vaporizer. Its appearance is comparable to a sleek USB flash drive, and its elongated rectangular shape doesn’t remind one of a cigarette or even other types of vapes. This makes it less likely for underage users to be caught by their parents, teachers, or other supervisors.
In addition to its discreet appearance, the lack of smoke is another factor that makes it easy for kids to get away with using JUULs. The smell of smoke is a telltale sign that someone’s been smoking cigarettes, but the barely noticeable smell of the vapor doesn’t compare.
Health Effects of Nicotine
It’s no secret that cigarettes are bad for your health, so it’s easy to get behind the idea of a safer alternative. Unfortunately, the reality is that vaporizers can deliver even more nicotine than cigarettes, exacerbating certain health risks instead of mitigating them. When you consider that JUUL products appeal to people who previously had no interest in smoking, you can understand the role they play in turning people on to nicotine — that’s a lot different than giving existing smokers a safer way to consume it.
Some of the many negative health effects of nicotine include:
- Lung, pancreatic, and breast cancer
- Respiratory problems
- Kidney disease
- Coronary artery disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Reproductive issues
- Macular degeneration (cataracts and vision loss)
Although none of these health effects are necessarily guaranteed, addiction continues to increase nicotine users’ risks of developing them throughout their lives. The younger you start, the more time there is for continuous nicotine use to have a negative impact on your health.
Contact Morgan & Morgan
Addiction is a lifelong battle, and it’s one that often begins before a person’s brain even finishes developing. Companies like JUUL understand their influence over their audiences and have knowingly endangered young people around the world. If you became addicted to nicotine by using JUUL vaporizers before you were 18 years old and before November of 2018, you may deserve compensation.
Morgan & Morgan fights For The People. When you work with us, you reap the benefits of a proven track record of success. Here are just a few elements we bring to the table:
- 30+ years of experience
- Over $9 billion won for our clients
- More than 700 attorneys across the nation
- No upfront costs — we don’t get paid unless we win
There’s only one Morgan & Morgan. Fill out a free, no-obligation case evaluation to find out if you have a claim.
Has JUUL had to pay out any penalties or damages in lawsuits to date?
Major legal actions against JUUL have only begun in recent months, so we have not yet begun to see verdicts or settlements in those cases.
How addictive is a JUUL device?
Since its beginning, JUUL has proudly advertised its JUUL vapor pods as the most nicotine-heavy e-cigarette pods on the market. One JUUL pod is equivalent to the nicotine content of an entire pack of regular cigarettes. The process of becoming addicted to nicotine is inexact, and may vary from person to person. But especially for young people – who are more susceptible to chemical addictions than adults in general – it would be fair to describe JUUL vaping as “extremely addictive.”
What about other kinds of damage besides nicotine addiction?
Morgan & Morgan fights for the people whenever a corporation or manufacturer fails to keep products sold to the public safe. There have been multiple incidents of e-cigarettes exploding or catching on fire and causing injury, as well as scores of reports of cancer or other lung-related illnesses linked to e-cigarette use. If you or a family member has suffered an injury or illness related to a JUUL or other e-cigarette device, please contact us right away for a free consultation. We want to pursue justice and the potential for compensation on your behalf.
Is there an age limit for a JUUL lawsuit?
At this time, Morgan & Morgan is only filing claims filed on behalf of JUUL users who became addicted before they turned 18.
Can I file a claim on behalf of my child?
You can. If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child or teen who has become addicted to nicotine because of their JUUL use, you have the right to file a lawsuit on their behalf. We want to help you potentially recover compensation that can be used towards the treatment of that addiction, as well as other associated costs.