When you’re at a medical establishment, you expect to be treated with the proper amount of care and attention that is needed. But too often, that isn’t how you’re treated. Mistakes happen, and your health is what suffers as a result. How is that fair?
When a patient is injured as a result of medical malpractice in the New Orleans area, a Morgan & Morgan attorney may be able to file a lawsuit seeking compensation on his or her behalf.
But time is of the essence — the statute of limitations for filing a medical malpractice lawsuit is only one year. To learn more about your options, fill out our free case review form.
Types of Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice is a large category. As such, there are many types of medical malpractice that could result in a lawsuit. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Improper use of anesthesia
- Lack of oxygen during medical procedure
- Delayed treatment or failure to diagnose a medical condition
- Injury sustained during childbirth due to medical staff
- Wrong medication administered
- Infections due to contaminated surgery
- Blood test and laboratory errors
- Careless behavior by paramedics and emergency officials
- Failure to diagnose cancer
- Defective medical products and devices
How an Attorney Can Help
Malpractice lawsuits are tricky, and having an experienced attorney helps immensely. A Morgan & Morgan attorney will undergo a thorough investigation to prove the following four necessities to winning any medical malpractice lawsuit:
- The defendant owed a duty or care to the injured person. Doctors have a duty to provide their patients with a certain level of care, so as to prevent harm.
- The defendant breached this duty of care.
- The patient was injured as a direct result of the breach.
- The patient suffered damages, such as medical bills, physical pain and suffering and lost wages, due to their injury.
An attorney can also help determine how much you’re owed for these damages.
New Orleans residents deserve experienced, successful medical malpractice attorneys at their disposal. To find out how we may be able to help with your claim, fill out our free case review form.