WHAT CAUSES MESOTHELIOMA? HOW CAN AN ATTORNEY HELP?
When a person inhales airborne asbestos fibers, they can become lodged in the lining of the lungs and cause inflammation. Over time, the damage can lead to mesothelioma.
According to data compiled by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), more than 1 million workers in construction and general industries face significant asbestos exposure at their job. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, understand that you’re not without recourse. Our asbestos lawyers specialize in mesothelioma litigation and can help you alleviate your financial burden by filing a mesothelioma claim.
Unlike many other types of cancer, mesothelioma has just one known cause: exposure to asbestos. Mesothelioma was virtually unknown until the 20th century, when researchers identified the disease and its underlying cause. Unsurprisingly, mesothelioma rates were found to be much higher in industries in which workers are routinely exposed to asbestos.
Risk Factors for Mesothelioma
Sometimes it can take 40 to 50 years after exposure for symptoms to emerge. Because of the disease’s long latency period, it’s difficult to diagnose mesothelioma. In fact, many workers don’t get sick until after they have retired.
The people who are especially at risk for mesothelioma include:
- People who work or used to work at an asbestos processing plant
- Those who work or used to work in construction and other professions with a high risk of injury
- People who live or used to live in a residential area near a contaminated site
- Those who served in the military on ships or in facilities constructed with asbestos products
- People who have been exposed to asbestos products during home renovations
- Those who live in older homes and apartment buildings built with asbestos products
- Spouses and family members of people who have been exposed to asbestos at their jobs
Contact an Asbestos Attorney
Morgan & Morgan is a national law firm that advocates for those whose lives have been irreparably damaged by asbestos exposure in the workplace. Our dedicated and focused attorneys can help you file a mesothelioma claim against the company responsible for exposing you or your loved one to asbestos. With over 500 attorneys nationwide, we aren’t afraid to bring the fight to the biggest corporations. We operate on a contingency model and never charge by the hour — you pay only if we win. Schedule a free case evaluation now.