Got a Question?

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I file a first-party claim against my insurance provider?

In most cases, you should be able to file a claim as soon as it becomes active. However, there is a high possibility that the insurance company will consider your claim suspicious. But as long as you are claiming good faith, the insurer should be able to compensate you per the terms of contract.

That said, some insurance companies might refuse to settle a claim, especially if it is filed “too soon” after purchasing a policy. In that case, you might be able to take legal action against the insurance provider.

At Morgan and Morgan, we know and understand how difficult and frustrating it can be to deal with insurance companies, including your own insurance provider. For this reason, we might be able to hold them accountable if they decline a valid claim.

Contact us today for a free case evaluation to learn more.

How long does my insurance company have to pay my claim?

The insurance claims process may seem highly convoluted to the average person. It involves lots of bureaucracy and confusing deadlines. And if you miss even one deadline, you might need to restart your claim from the beginning, or worse, the insurance company might deny your claim.

But all of those deadlines always seem to affect the claimant. What about deadlines for the insurance company? If they exist, the insurance company rarely explains or reveals them, and it is usually difficult to tell whether the insurer is meeting them.

This process can lead to you asking, “How long does my insurance company have to pay my claim?” The answer to that question differs in every state, depending on local laws. However, regardless of state laws, one thing is consistent: Insurance companies are required to process your claim as efficiently as possible and may not intentionally delay the completion of the claims process.

If you believe your insurance company is illegally delaying your claims process, you should contact an insurance attorney immediately. At Morgan & Morgan, our insurance attorneys can speed up the claims process and may be able to get you additional damages if your insurance company is delaying the process. Use our simple contact form today to get a free case evaluation.

I think my insurance company underpaid my claim. What can I do?

No one likes to deal with insurance agencies, especially during the claims process. Whether you sustained injuries in an automobile accident, from a slip and fall, or at work, you’ll likely receive calls from an insurance agency seeking to close your case and offer you a minimum payment. 

However, before you agree to whatever the insurance agency suggests, it’s best to consider the facts of your case. If you know that you will be dealing with ongoing medical care or extensive property damage from an accident, don’t accept something that will not put a dent in your actual expenses.

There is hope if you’ve already accepted payment for your insurance claim. Seek the advice of a qualified personal injury attorney at Morgan & Morgan. Our team regularly negotiates fair settlements and claims for our clients, and we can help you, too. Use our convenient online form to schedule a free consultation.

Why was my insurance claim denied?

Insurance claims can be denied for a multitude of reasons, but the most unfortunate reason could be due to your insurance company’s unwillingness to make good on your contractual agreement. Insurance companies are businesses, after all, and will generally seek to protect their bottom line before protecting their customers.

If you had an insurance claim that was legitimate, filed properly, but still ultimately denied, don’t hesitate to reach out to Morgan & Morgan for a free case evaluation. Our experienced attorneys can fight for the compensation that you’re entitled to.

For more information regarding insurance claims, read more below.

What type of insurance disputes does Morgan & Morgan handle?

At Morgan & Morgan, we handle a wide range of insurance disputes. Just as long as you have a valid claim, our attorneys might be able to help. 

We have dealt with numerous insurance companies across the country and understand the tactics they use to deny valid claims. For this reason, you can trust us to fight for you, ensuring you receive the insurance payout you deserve. Some of the insurance disputes we handle include but are not limited to:

  • Motor vehicle insurance
  • Homeowners insurance
  • Fire claims
  • Tornado claims
  • Sinkhole claims
  • Business property losses


What is the difference between a first-party and a third-party claim?

Suppose you’ve been the victim of some sort of accident or have another reason to file a personal injury claim. In that case, you may find that more than one party is involved in the compensation process.

Depending on the factors of the incident and in which state you reside, you may end up filing a claim with your own insurance company and the insurance company of another party that was involved. This may make you ask the question, “What is the difference between a first-party and third-party claim?” Although some insurance claims are routine, others are far more complicated. In this case, the lawyers at Morgan and Morgan will be able to provide legal expertise. You deserve the maximum compensation you’re entitled to, which may mean filing both a first-party and third-party claim.

Can I still file a claim if I haven’t made a payment on a new policy yet?

When you need help paying for the costs associated with an accident or injury, insurance coverage is critical. Car insurance will help you get back on your feet after a motor vehicle collision.

But what if you have not made a payment on your policy? Can you still file a claim?

Suppose that you were involved in a traffic accident soon after adding new auto insurance coverage. You may wonder, “Can I still file a claim if I haven’t made a payment on a new policy yet?”

In a situation like this, it is vital to seek skilled legal representation. Fortunately, the accomplished attorneys at Morgan and Morgan have plenty of experience fighting for the rights of policyholders.

If you need to know whether you can file a claim on your new insurance policy, contact our firm. Our skilled legal team believes that all policyholders deserve to recover the compensation they are owed.

For this reason, the team at Morgan and Morgan provides free legal consultations to prospective clients. To schedule a no-cost case evaluation, complete the simple contact form on our firm’s website.

What is "bad faith" when it comes to insurance? What are common bad faith insurance practices?

The term “bad faith” refers to an insurance provider's attempts to abandon its obligations to its clients. When an insurance company acts in bad faith, you may be able to take legal action against them. At Morgan and Morgan, we have dealt with countless insurance companies for more than three decades. For this reason, we know the tactics they use to deny valid claims.

We understand how disappointing it can be to deal with insurance companies. In fact, when these companies realize that the claimant does not have legal representation, they usually turn into bullies. But no insurance company in the country is too big for our attorneys to take on. As long as you have a valid claim, we will fight for you.

What is maximum medical improvement?

The term “maximum medical improvement” describes a stage during the treatment process where the healthcare provider, such as a doctor, informs the patient that no further progress in their medical condition is possible. Contrary to popular belief, reaching MMI does not mean that the patient has recovered from the injury or illness. Rather, it means there is no point in trying to improve.

This term is quite common during personal injury litigation. Most experienced personal injury attorneys advise their clients to wait until they reach MMI before accepting a settlement offer.

What is a public adjuster, and what is their role in my case after I hire your firm?

When you file an insurance claim, you expect the insurance adjuster to treat you fairly during the review process. Unfortunately, far too many insurance adjusters either deny claims or offer settlements that are well below what a policyholder deserves. How can you fight back against an unreasonable insurance adjuster? You should hire an experienced personal injury attorney who has compiled a record of success winning insurance claim appeals. There is another option that most policyholders do not know about when filing an insurance claim.

You can hire a public insurance adjuster to help you receive the compensation that you deserve.

What is a public insurance adjuster, and what is their role in my case after I hire your firm? Public insurance adjusters conduct the same reviews of insurance claims that insurance company adjusters conduct. The difference between a public insurance adjuster and an insurance company adjuster is that a public adjuster reviews claims with a much more objective perspective. At Morgan and Morgan, our team of state-licensed personal injury lawyers reviews your case to determine whether a public adjuster can help you receive just compensation for an insurance claim.

Learn more about what is a public adjuster, and what their role is in your case after you hire Morgan and Morgan by scheduling a free case evaluation.