Pennsylvania Kitchen Fire Kills Boy, Injures Father

Pennsylvania Kitchen Fire Kills Boy, Injures Father Hero Image

An accidental fire claimed one nine-year-old boy in East Coventry Township, Penn. early Sunday morning.

The blaze started in the kitchen, and Ridge Fire Company members believe the boy died from smoke inhalation, according to 69News. The father came home early Sunday morning and attempted to save his son, but suffered arm injuries in the rescue attempt. Firefighters pulled him out shortly after, but he died at the scene.

Authorities haven’t found the firestarter, and don’t suspect foul play. They did not announce if the home had working smoke detectors. Teddy bears mourning the family’s son were left by neighbors in the driveway.

The kitchen is one of the deadliest rooms in the house. Ovens and other appliances draw a lot of power, and in many parts of the country, may feature open flames. But if your cooking equipment is malfunctioning, it may not be your job to deal with the problems plaguing your home. Your landlord could be on the hook.

Holding Your Landlord Accountable

Cooking materials are the leading cause of home fire injuries, according the National Fire Protection Association. Making sure your family prepares for a fire and understands what can cause one is critical to ensuring your safety.

Smart moves like creating an emergency plan, practicing responsible cooking, and teaching your children the importance of fire safety may help your family survive a blaze.

But watching your pots and pans while you cook and practicing responsibility in the kitchen can only take you so far. A careless landlord may be on the hook for dangers like faulty wiring or broken appliances. Frayed wires and malfunctioning dryers and ovens contribute to fires, and keeping up on maintenance is key to protecting your home. That maintenance may fall to your landlord, depending on the city and state you’re in.

If it’s not up to date, you could be left in harm’s way. Landlords may also cut corners in the name of convenience, installing subpar — or no — smoke detectors, and blocking hallways or fire escapes. We’ve seen every trick in the book, and most of them mean trouble for you. If you believe your property owner or landlord neglected their responsibilities and you suffered, our attorneys may be able to help.

With the fire under control and investigations proceeding, the community is rallying around the family, according to 6ABC. “I think there’s a lot of people who will help out the family, even if it’s just a small amount of money, just helping,” neighbor Laurin Markle said.

(Editor’s Note: This is a news story from the ‘Morgan Monitor,’ a news wire offering legal perspectives on news in your community.)

Feature photo not of the house fire described.