Back Injury From Car Accident
A back injury stemming from a car accident can leave you with lasting health problems. What’s more, it can require extensive and costly medical treatment. If you suffered a back injury in an auto accident, you shouldn’t have to cope with the costs on your own. A personal injury attorney can help ensure that you won’t.
Types of Back Injuries
Any back injury can lead to pain and limited mobility. Common types car accident victims suffer include:
- Strains and Sprains: Back strains are injuries to a muscle or tendon, while back sprains involve the tearing or stretching of a ligament.
- Herniated Discs: Discs separate the vertebrae and protect the spine. A disc is herniated when it becomes partially displaced.
- Thoracic Spine Injuries: The thoracic spine is the upper section of the back and is connected to the ribs. Fractures and sprains in the thoracic spine can result in permanent nerve damage.
- Lumbar Spine Injuries: The lumbar spine consists of five vertebrae in the lower back. Sprains or strains can be particularly painful and result in bruising, tenderness, and limited mobility.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries can range in severity from bruising to permanent nerve damage. In some cases, they lead to partial or total paralysis and a loss of feeling.
Although back injuries can be the result of virtually any type of car accident, they are most often associated with rear-end and head-on collisions in which the body is quickly and abruptly jolted forward and back upon impact.
Back Injury Treatments
After an accident, be sure to seek immediate medical assistance. In some cases, injuries do not appear for 24 to 48 hours after an accident, so it’s important to undergo a complete medical evaluation. Bodily trauma can be diagnosed through CT scans, X-rays, MRIs, bone scans, and myelograms. Treatment will vary depending on the type and severity of the injury. Short-term wounds may be managed with pain medication and physical therapy, whereas long-term injuries often require surgery.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer Near You
If you suffered a back injury in a car accident, contact Morgan & Morgan today. We may be able to secure the compensation you deserve. Schedule a free case evaluation to get started.