Many slip and fall cases in 2021 occurred in grocery stores, restaurants, and similar locations that may have slippery floors and other slip or trip hazards. Victims who have to stand up against big stores and businesses can have a heavy battle on their hands when trying to recover an adequate settlement. They may be offered a small payment by the relevant insurer, who hopes they will take the bait and go away.
However, slip and fall victims with severe injuries could be entitled to considerable settlements, which they need to recover physically, emotionally, and financially.
Since the time for filing an injury lawsuit may be limited, seek legal help from a seasoned slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible after your fall. Morgan & Morgan is here to ensure you don’t leave money on the table. Contact us today for a free consultation to learn about your legal options.
Morgan & Morgan’s 2021 Slip and Fall Wins
We never settle for less. Over the last three decades, our dedicated and tenacious attorneys have fought tirelessly for compensation for the injured, recovering more than $15 billion in damages. Some of our slip and fall cases in 2021 include:
- $5.3 million verdict for a client who suffered arm and leg injuries in a slip and fall at Cici’s Pizza in Tampa
- $4.6 million settlement against a homeowners’ association in South Carolina whose negligence caused our client’s serious leg injuries
- $2 million verdict for our client who suffered arm, back, and neck injuries in an Orlando Walmart slip and fall incident
- $1.5 million verdict in a confidential Orlando slip and fall case
- $1.36 million verdict for leg injuries suffered by our client in a fall in Mel’s Diner in Fort Myers
In many of these cases, our clients received lowball settlement offers, which were a fraction of the true worth of their claim. When Morgan & Morgan takes your case, you can rest assured that our slip and fall lawyers will fight hard for the maximum potential compensation so you can move on with your life without worrying about your injury expenses.
How to Know Whether You Have a Slip and Fall Claim
Sometimes, we slip or trip and fall due to our own inattention or ill-fitting shoes. Getting injured in a fall does not automatically qualify for a personal injury lawsuit. However, you could have a legal claim if you fell and suffered an injury due to a hazardous condition on another’s property, such as a pothole or a missing step.
Property owners who neglect the maintenance of their premises and fail to fix or warn of hazardous conditions could be liable for your losses.
Common Causes of Slips and Falls
Almost every floor defect or obstruction can cause falls and severe injuries, particularly in older and fragile individuals. Property owners should take great care to ensure that their premises inside and outside areas are well maintained, without flooring defects or cracks in sidewalks. Common causes of slips and falls can include:
- Sudden changes in floor levels
- Loose cables and other tripping hazards on floors
- Slippery floors due to liquid or food spillages
- Missing handrails
- Potholes in sidewalks or parking lots
- Inadequate lighting
- Missing or broken stairs
- Loose floorboards and bulging carpets
- Ice or snow on walkways
Where Did Most Slips and Falls Happen in 2021?
Slips and falls can practically happen anywhere on private, commercial, and public properties. However, busy grocery stores, restaurants, and other establishments with frequent spills and potentially slippery floors can be common locations where patrons suffer an injury. Other places where slips and falls can occur:
- Public pools
- Theme parks
- Cruise ships
- Construction sites
- Restaurant kitchens
- Bars and clubs
- Shopping malls
- Hospitals and medical centers
- Nursing homes and assisted living facilities
- Parking garages
- Public transit stations
The best way to discover whether you have a slip and fall claim is to contact a personal injury attorney immediately after your injury. Our dedicated lawyers can assess your accident, determine whether you have legal recourse, and go after the responsible party to recover compensation for you.
How to Protect Your Rights After a Slip and Fall Accident
When a slip and fall accident happens, many victims walk away without protecting their health or legal rights, hoping they will be fine. Do not make this critical mistake. It can be tricky to prove your claim and recover compensation if you develop symptoms and serious injuries later.
Here are the vital steps you should take when hurt on someone else’s property:
- Take photographs of the accident scene and your injuries
- Seek medical advice immediately to receive treatment and document your injuries
- File an accident report with the restaurant, grocery store, or wherever else your fall happened
- Gather receipts and other evidence of your expenses
- Get in touch with a slip and fall lawyer to protect your rights and determine your legal options
Injuries in Slip and Fall Cases in 2021
The most recent figures from the National Safety Council (NSC) show that more than 36,000 adults aged 65 and over suffered fatal injuries in preventable falls in 2020. Falls can particularly affect older individuals, who could face a lengthy and expensive recovery process. In a particularly nasty fall, a victim may be permanently disabled, requiring ongoing medical and personal care. However, injuries in slips and falls can vary and include:
- Scrapes and abrasions
- Knee and wrist injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Head and brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Back injuries
- Muscle tears, sprains, and strains
If you or a loved one suffered significant injuries in a fall in 2021, you could still file a personal injury lawsuit and recover damages. Our tenacious attorneys could identify your options and move forward with a claim on your behalf.
Damages Victims Can Receive in Slip and Fall Claims
Since every personal injury claim is different, there is no average settlement amount for slip and fall victims. You could be entitled to various damages, depending on your injuries, expenses, and other facts of your claim. Slip and fall victims generally received the following damages in 2021, among others:
- Healthcare costs, including future medical expenses
- Loss of income and future income
- Costs of household assistance or home health aide
- Out-of-pocket expenses in connection with your fall injury
- Awards for pain and suffering
Our lawyers can calculate the total value of your claim and negotiate hard with the defendant and insurance companies.