An Overview of Mesothelioma Treatment Options
Based on 1096 Select Nationwide Reviews
- The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
- America's Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
- 20 Billion+ Won
- 1,000+ Lawyers Nationwide
Free Case Evaluation
Porter Ranch Gas Leak
Jacob T. Rodgers v. City of Gainesville D/B/A Gainesville Regional Utilities
Estate of Frank Townsend v. RJ Reynolds, et al.
Morgan Stanley Data Security Litigation
Stephen Davis v. Levon Clark, Ricardo Williams, Marty Grifka and Derek Pak
McAdams v. Monier Lifetile, LLC
Coleman v. Martinez
Gold v. Lumber Liquidators
Brink v. Ruiz
The attorneys featured above are licensed in Florida. For a full list of attorneys in your state please visit our attorney page.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for mesothelioma — but there are ways to improve your prognosis through treatment. The asbestos attorneys at Morgan & Morgan are passionate about fighting for the financial future of mesothelioma victims and their families, and connecting them with the best medical care possible.
Mesothelioma Treatment Options
Typically, mesothelioma treatment involves a combination of the following:
- Surgery: Often an effective treatment for patients in the early stages of mesothelioma, surgery is designed to remove as much of the cancer as possible.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is a nonsurgical treatment used to shrink tumors and kill the remaining cancer cells.
- Radiation: Radiation targets and destroys cancerous mesothelioma cells, preventing them from metastasizing.
Types of Surgery
There are a few types of surgery for pleural mesothelioma (the most common type of mesothelioma, which affects the lungs).
- Extrapleural Pneumonectomy (EPP): Typically performed on stage 1 and 2 patients, EPP involves the removal of the cancerous lung, the lining around it, and part of the diaphragm.
- Pleurectomy and Decortication (P/D): Rather than remove the entire lung, P/D removes the pleural lining around the lung and all visible tumor masses.
- Cytoreductive Surgery: A cytoreduction involves the removal of the lining of the abdomen.
Patients who are not eligible for surgery often undergo chemotherapy. The standard first-line treatment is cisplatin with pemetrexed. This treatment is usually delivered to the patient through an IV into the bloodstream. Other times, the doctor may heat the chemotherapy drugs and deliver them locally following surgery. In the event the cancer grows, the patient may undergo second-line chemotherapy with other medications.
Radiation therapy is used to ease chest pain, discomfort, and other symptoms when surgery is not an option. When used in conjunction with surgery, radiation therapy can be useful in reducing the risk of local recurrence. Some doctors apply radiation before surgery to shrink tumors and make them easier to remove.
Get answers to commonly asked questions about our legal services and learn how we may assist you with your case.
Morgan & Morgan
Contact a Mesothelioma Lawyer
If you were exposed to asbestos in the workplace and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, contact Morgan & Morgan today. If we decide to move forward, we’ll assign your case a team of lawyers and staff to ensure you get the best service possible. Mesothelioma is devastating, and we want to be by your side during these trying times. Every client is treated like family — our attorneys extend the same compassion to them as they would their own loved ones. With more than 1,000 attorneys nationwide and billions of dollars recovered on behalf of our clients, Morgan & Morgan has the resources to fight for you. Fill out a free case evaluation form today to discover what we can do for you.
How it works
It's easy to get started.
The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
With a free case evaluation, submitting your case is easy with Morgan & Morgan.
Our dedicated team gets to work investigating your claim.
If we take on the case, our team fights to get you the results you deserve.
stories that inspire and drive change
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Based on Select nationwide reviews