- Personal Injury Attorneys
- Arthritis Questions Answered
- Amputation/Loss of Limb Injury
- Electric Shock? Your Questions Answered
- Broken Pelvis Injury
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) Lawsuits
- What Do Disability Claim Attorneys Do?
- Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer For Your Injury Claim
- What Is an Injury Claim Calculator and How Does It Work?
- How to Find The Right Lawyer for Your Personal Injury Claim
- What Types of Compensation Can I Recover in a Bodily Injury Claim
- What Is the Personal Injury Claim Process?
- What Are the Most Common Personal Injury Claims?
- Why You Shouldn’t Rely on a Personal Injury Claims Calculator
- Personal Injury Claims: What is the Average Settlement Amount?
- What to Expect When Filing a Personal Injury Claim
- What Is a Personal Injury Claim?
- Why Do Insurance Companies Say You Have An Exaggerated Personal Injury Claim?
- Can I File a Personal Injury Claim Without a Lawyer?
- Can I File a Personal Injury Claim Against My Landlord?
- How to Hire the Best Personal Injury Lawyers in Atlanta
- How to Hire the Best Accident Lawyer Near Me
- Calculating Pain & Suffering | Personal Injury Questions
- Personal Injury Lawsuit Process
- Personal Injury Settlement Process
- Personal Injury Lawsuit Settlement Checks
- How Much is a Personal Injury Lawyer Payout?
- How Much Does Personal Injury Insurance Cost?
- How Much Does a Personal Injury Case Pay?
- What Does Personal Injury Mean?
- What Is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Morgan & Morgan Settlement Cases
- How to Find a Good Lawyer Near Me
- Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer
- Talk to a Personal Injury Lawyer
- Accident Injury Claim Facts
- Average Value of a Bodily Injury Claim
- Pedestrian Injury Lawyer
- Do’s and Don’ts for Your Personal Injury Claim
- Where to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit
- When Should I Fight an Insurance Company?
- How Long Does a Personal Injury Case Take?
- How Do I Cash in My Personal Injury Settlement Check?
- What Is the Price for Severe Emotional Pain From a Personal Injury Incident?
- Where Can I Get Help With My Personal Injury Case?
- What Should I Do After Getting Hurt in Public?
- How to Handle Slipping on Ice?
- Understanding Your Settlement Check Payout: What Do I Need to Know?
- What Is the Best Use for My Settlement Checks Post-Accident?
- What Should I Use My Settlement Check For?
- When to Call a Lawyer: Hurt During the Holidays
- What Do I Need to Know About the Hiring Process for Lawyers?
- How to Have a Successful Relationship With Your Personal Injury Lawyer
- Can I Afford a Lawyer Without Any Insurance?
- How to Prepare for the First Meeting With a Personal Injury Lawyer
- What Is the Process for Hiring Your First Lawyer?
- When Should I See a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- How Much Is a Permanent Injury Worth?
- What Is a Fair Settlement for Pain and Suffering?
- How Do I Cash in My Personal Injury Settlement Check?
- Does Morgan and Morgan Take Any Case?
- What Are the Stages of a Personal Injury Claim?
- How Is Damage Determined in a Lawsuit?
- Is a Settlement Considered a Win?
- How Much Compensation Will I Receive for Neck and Shoulder Injuries?
- How Much Is a Bulging Disc Injury Worth?
- What Is Considered a Good Settlement Offer?
- Do You Pay Morgan & Morgan if You Lose?
- Who Should I Contact if I'm Having a Difficult Time Understanding Law Practices?
- Should I Get Multiple Lawyers for My Injury Case?
- What Are Some Signs That You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- What Is the Difference Between Bodily Injury and Personal Injury?
- Can You Sue a School District for Emotional Distress?
- How Do You Cash a Settlement Check?
- How Should I Spend My Settlement Check?
- What Are Some Reasons a Lawyer Might Not Take Your Personal Injury Case?
- What Is a Characters for Hire Lawsuit?
- Calculating Damages in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
- What Are the Costs and Recovery Time for a Broken Pelvis?
- What Are Some Examples of Lawyer Fees for Personal Injury Cases?
- Where Can I Find the Best Ethical Malpractice Lawyers Near Me?
- What Does a Suit Mean?
- How Do Lawyers Determine Pain and Suffering?
- Where Do I Go to Get the Settlement Check for My Neck Injuries?
- What Is a Typical Personal Injury Settlement Amount?
- How Difficult Is Calculating Damages in a Lawsuit?
- What Questions Are Asked During a Deposition?
- How Can I Get Compensation for a Crushed Pelvis?
- How Much Can I Expect to Recover From a 3M Lawsuit?
- Where Do I Sign My Settlement Papers?
- How Long Can You Keep a Check Without Cashing It?
- What Should I Do if I Receive a Phone Call Saying Someone Is Taking Legal Action Against Me?
Who Should I Call if I'm Hurt While Away From Home?
Getting injured is usually stressful, upsetting, and sometimes traumatic. However, suffering an accidental injury away from home can be a nightmare, especially when you are nowhere near your usual doctors, your family, and friends. Knowing who to call if you get hurt while not at home can be crucial for protecting your health and rights after suffering an unexpected accident and injury.
If you got hurt away from home, consulting with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible can be an excellent idea. Morgan & Morgan’s experienced injury attorneys can help wherever your injury occurs. We can assist you with receiving adequate medical care and determine if you qualify for damages such as healthcare costs, wage losses, and others. Contact us today to find out more in a free consultation.
Common Accidents When Away From Home
Accidents can potentially happen anywhere, whether you are out of state or even in another country. Some common accidents and incidents away from home include:
Slips and Falls
Falls can occur for many reasons, including wearing the wrong footwear. However, if you slipped and fell on another’s property due to a hazardous condition, you could have legal recourse. Dangerous and unsafe conditions include but are not limited to:
- Unsafe staircases
- Snow or ice accumulations on walkways or stairs
- Wet and slippery floors
- Broken floorboards
- Obstructions and cluttered walkways
- Loose mats and bulging carpets
- Inadequate lighting
Lack of Security
Lack of security can lead to robberies, violent attacks and assaults, and even murder. If a property owner fails to install adequate security such as security cameras, locks on doors, gates and fencing, and others, they could be liable for your expenses. Lack of security incidents can practically occur anywhere, such as in hotels, parking garages, medical facilities, malls, and elsewhere.
Dog Bites and Animal Attacks
A dog owner is responsible for keeping their animal under control at all times. If you or a loved one got attacked by a dog and suffered physical and emotional injuries, you could sue the owner for damages.
Swimming Pool Accidents
Swimming pools have many potential hazards, in particular for the very young and the elderly. Slips and falls on wet and slippery floors or pool slide accidents can be common. Pool accidents can result in serious, debilitating, and costly injuries. If a swimming pool owner or operator is responsible, you could be entitled to damages.
Common Injuries When Not at Home
Common injuries when away from home due to a slip and fall or other accident include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury
- Lacerations and cuts
- Broken bones
- Electric shocks
According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), assaults and violent attacks involving negligent security typically result in facial injuries, lacerations, and fractures. Moreover, if an attack involves a weapon, the victim could be permanently disabled or pass away from their injuries.
You Could Qualify for Compensation
If you or a loved one suffered a traumatic brain injury or permanent disability after an accident, medical costs, income loss, and other expenses could be astronomical. Moreover, with a long-term injury, you could incur considerable costs in the future. If someone else recklessly or carelessly caused your injury, you could qualify for damages including:
- Past, present, and future healthcare expenses
- Loss of income and future loss of income
- Emotional distress
- Physical pain and anguish
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Household assistance
- Modification of your home and vehicle
- Permanent disability
If you got hurt while not at home, who you call can be vital for preserving your rights to justice and compensation. A seasoned personal injury attorney at Morgan & Morgan can help you get clear on your legal options and fight for what you deserve on your behalf.
Who Is At-Fault for Your Injuries and Damages?
Accidents and injuries away from home can occur with unsafe conditions due to the negligence of property or business owners.
Premises Liability Law
Premises liability means that an owner or lessee who failed to make their property safe for visitors could be responsible if someone comes to harm due to a dangerous condition. Accidents can be caused by lack of maintenance, negligent security, and other reasons. In premises liability cases, the injured person must prove that a property owner or lessee was negligent or careless in some way.
Getting hurt away from home can cause devastating physical, emotional, and financial consequences. However, if a property owner or other party is responsible for your injuries, they should pay for your damages and not you. Our determined injury attorneys can walk you through your legal options and fight for what you deserve.
Your Next Steps if You Got Hurt Away From Home
Getting hurt while away can be confusing and stressful. Moreover, being far away from your usual support system, doctors, familiar medical facilities, and family can be frightening. However, taking some important steps can prevent you from running into problems when you get hurt while not at home:
Seek Medical Attention
Depending on your injuries, you can call 911 for assistance or visit a local medical center. The sooner you get checked out by a doctor, the better. According to the Mayo Clinic, traumatic brain injury (TBI), a common accident injury, may not show symptoms for days or weeks. Having a doctor diagnose and treat any injuries promptly can shorten your recovery time and help you get your life back on track sooner.
If someone else is responsible for your accident and injury, you could file a personal injury lawsuit. However, to be successful, you will require relevant evidence proving the fault of the other party. You will also have to prove your injuries and losses in connection with the accident. Evidence can include:
- Photographs of the accident scene and injuries
- Receipts for out-of-pocket costs and medical bills
- Statements from eyewitnesses
If you get hurt in a store or restaurant, ensure to report the accident to management. Ask to fill in an accident report and make sure to take a copy of the report with you, as this could be vital evidence in court.
Call an Injury Attorney
An injury lawyer can be a great choice to call if you get hurt while not at home. Most first consultations with personal injury attorneys are free, allowing you to get valuable advice regarding your particular situation. Notably, a local injury attorney could also help you get medical care or other assistance you might need while injured away from home.
Let Morgan & Morgan Handle Your Injury Away From Home Case
If you get injured while away from home, you need an advocate on your side who can ensure that you receive adequate medical care and legal advice. Morgan & Morgan knows how to handle your injury case away from home efficiently and confidently. We can help fight for what you deserve by:
Gathering the Evidence to Prove Your Case
If you are not well and away from home, you most likely have a lot on your plate. The last thing on your mind should be gathering documents, reports, photographs, and witness statements. Our legal team can collect the evidence needed to prove your case while you are recovering from your injuries.
Assessing Your Damages
If you do not know what your case is worth, you could leave money on the table in negotiations with the defendant or their insurance company. Our experienced attorneys can calculate your losses and damages accurately and fight for a fair and comprehensive settlement on your behalf.
Fighting for What You Deserve
Insurance companies are experts in dragging out or denying claims. For accident victims, especially when injured away from home, fighting an insurer for every dollar can feel exhausting. Morgan & Morgan’s lawyers can handle all negotiations and communication with the insurance company. If an insurer refuses to settle, we will see them in court and fight for what you deserve at trial.
Most of all, having America’s largest personal injury law firm on your side gives you peace of mind and the knowledge that you are in safe and experienced hands. We have secured more than $10 billion in damages for our clients over the years and could help you get justice too.