Countless motorcyclists and advocates across the country join together every May for Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month to try to reduce accidents and injuries. Despite their best efforts, thousands of motorcyclists each year are the victims of motorcycle crashes.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a motorcycle accident, hiring the best motorcycle accident lawyer you can find is critical. Dealing with the injury or loss following a crash is hard enough without trying to get compensation from the insurance companies on your own. Hiring a lawyer with in-depth knowledge of the intricacies of riding can be the difference between a successful claim and losing.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 80% of motorcycle crashes result in injury or death compared to only 20% in passenger vehicles. Due to the increased severity of the injuries and complexity of the cases, it is recommended to contact a reputable motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. A good lawyer will help you regain a sense of control over your life as you attempt to recover from the fallout of the accident.
When Should You Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
Unless the incident is extremely minor, it is advisable to hire a lawyer right away if you or someone you love has been involved in a motorcycle accident. A lawyer can guide you through each step of the process and help you avoid common mistakes.
You might think that being honest with the insurance company is enough to guarantee that you are covered. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. From the moment the accident happens, the insurance company’s team of lawyers will start working to reduce your claim or even deny you coverage.
The last thing you need after suffering an injury is to be worrying about your own words being used against you to undermine your legitimate claim. Hiring an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer will remove this stress from your life and allow you to focus on your recovery.
What Qualifications Should You Look for in Your Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
Motorcycle accident law is a specialized field within the legal profession. While there are many great lawyers out there, the majority do not have specific experience in this area. Even an experienced car accident lawyer may not be a good choice, as motorcycle accidents can differ substantially.
Consider the following medical analogy to put this in perspective. If you needed major heart surgery, what type of doctor would you choose? A nationally respected heart surgeon who has performed thousands of procedures or a general practitioner? Generalist doctors and lawyers are highly skilled professionals who perform vital functions in their community, but when it comes to specialty cases where the stakes are high, go with specialized experience if you can find it.
Traits to look for:
- Have they handled motorcycle accident cases before?
- Good communication and willingness to explain the process to you.
- Do they have a track record of successful motorcycle accident injury claims?
- Will they work on a contingency fee (they only get paid if they are successful)?
- Do they have any reviews from past clients or peer reviews from other lawyers?
What you should avoid:
- A law firm with no history of successfully handling motorcycle accident claims.
- Poor communication – if they can’t handle a conversation with you about your case, this does not inspire confidence in their ability to negotiate with insurance companies.
- Someone who won’t explain the process to you – you’re dealing with enough stress as it is, you deserve trust and honest communication from your lawyer.
- Someone unsympathetic to what you are going through. You want a lawyer who sees you as an individual, someone who has just suffered an injury, and will make it their mission to fight for the compensation you deserve.