Motor Vehicle Accidents

I’m in a “no-fault” state. What does that mean if I’m in an accident?

In no-fault states, policyholders are covered by their own insurance, regardless of who caused the accident. Known as personal insurance protection, PIP covers drivers regardless of if they were at fault for the accident. With PIP, your insurance company should cover compensation for lost wages and medical care. But the buck stops there. You can’t pursue further damages, such as compensation for pain and suffering.

However, if your claim meets a minimum dollar threshold due to severe injuries or sky-high medical bills, you may be able to depart from the no-fault system and file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. This threshold varies by state. Morgan & Morgan attorneys will help you recover the full compensation to which you are entitled, including pain and suffering.