Get your free, immediate, Case Evaluation
From electricians and carpenters to painters and cement workers, a significant number of Americans have been exposed to asbestos on the job. The asbestos attorneys at Morgan & Morgan fight for compensation on behalf of the workers who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma.
Although mesothelioma has just one known cause – exposure to asbestos – its symptoms vary depending on where the disease is located and what stage of development it’s in. Unfortunately, mesothelioma symptoms usually don’t appear until the tumors on the mesothelium have spread, which can take between 20 to 50 years. As such, recognizing signs and symptoms of asbestos exposure early in the cancer’s development is near impossible.
To compound the problem, most of the early signs of mesothelioma are similar to those likely to be associated with other conditions. Symptoms may be ignored or mistaken for other common, minor ailments.
Early Stages of Mesothelioma
In the early stages of mesothelioma, patients often experience:
- Dry coughing
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Abdominal pain
- Fluid buildup around the lungs
Late Stages of Mesothelioma
As the disease progresses, patients often experience:
- Increased pain
- Weight loss
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of appetite
Different Types of Mesothelioma: Symptoms
There are four distinct types of mesothelioma, each defined by the location of the tumor. Unique symptoms accompany each type.
- Pleural Mesothelioma: Pleural mesothelioma occurs in the lining of the lungs. Symptoms typically include breathlessness, chest pain, fatigue, and fever.
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma: Peritoneal mesothelioma, which affects the lining of the abdomen, is often accompanied by abdominal pain and swelling, bowel changes, and bloating.
- Pericardial Mesothelioma: Pericardial mesothelioma takes place in the lining of the heart. Patients typically experience chest pain, irregular heartbeat, coughing, and difficulty breathing.
- Testicular Mesothelioma: Testicular mesothelioma affects the lining covering the testicle. Symptoms generally include scrotal swelling and testicular lumps.
Contact a Mesothelioma Attorney
Far too many Americans workers have encountered asbestos on the job. If you have experienced any of the symptoms above and believe you may have been exposed to asbestos on the job, contact Morgan & Morgan. Our family law firm fights for the rights of mesothelioma victims across the nation. Morgan & Morgan’s attorneys navigate mesothelioma claims from start to finish so you can focus on treatment while we focus on recovering the compensation you deserve. With a full legal team at your side, you’ll know you’re getting the best possible service and results. To learn more, schedule a free case evaluation now.