HOW TO FIND A DENTAL MALPRACTICE LAWYER
How to Find a Dental Malpractice Lawyer
Finding a lawyer to handle your dental malpractice case doesn’t have to be a painful process, but it is important to take the necessary time to find the right lawyer for you. While it might be tempting to hire the first lawyer you see on a billboard, or your friend’s cousin who is a lawyer and has been to the dentist, it’s worth the effort to do your own research.
Dental malpractice cases can be complex, so you need an attorney who has the necessary experience with dental malpractice cases to evaluate your case properly and determine the best course of action. Just like you wouldn’t let a family doctor give you a root canal, you shouldn’t trust your dental malpractice case to a personal injury attorney who doesn’t have the experience required to get you the results you want.
Here we provide answers to a few common questions about choosing a dental malpractice lawyer.
Where Should I Look for a Dental Malpractice Lawyer?
Hiring a dental malpractice lawyer based on a billboard or commercial, without doing any homework, is a bad idea. Doing your own research takes a little extra time, but hiring the wrong attorney can cost you even more time and money down the road. Here are a few ways to identify lawyers who might be right for you:
- Ask friends, family, and coworkers for recommendations. Make sure your friend or relative has real experience working with the lawyer they’re recommending, not just a personal relationship. And don’t forget to make sure the lawyer has experience working on dental malpractice cases specifically (as opposed to a jack-of-all-trades).
- If there’s a lawyer you know and trust who works in a different field, ask them if they can recommend any personal injury lawyers who specialize in dental malpractice.
- Search online using a legal database such as Avvo or Martindale-Hubbell, where you can find lawyers by practice area, location, client reviews, and disciplinary records. Refer to your local or state bar association’s attorney directory, which will list all the lawyers registered in your city or state.
How Should I Choose a Dental Malpractice Lawyer?
After you’ve identified prospective dental malpractice lawyers, set up interviews with three-to-five candidates. During each interview, evaluate their experience, understanding of your case, and communication skills. Keep in mind that dental malpractice cases often hinge on the lawyer’s ability to prove that the dentist breached a medical standard of care and that the breach caused the injuries. A good dental malpractice lawyer will have the necessary resources and skills to investigate your case thoroughly, and to identify the evidence needed to prove your case.
What Questions Should I Ask a Prospective Lawyer?
Focus on the lawyer’s background and related experience. In addition, if they work for a larger law firm, ask them questions about the firm’s culture and how much one-on-one attention you can expect. Some questions that you should always ask a dental malpractice lawyer include:
- How much experience do you have with my particular injury?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to dental malpractice cases?
- What is the average settlement amount for cases similar to mine?
- How involved will you be with my case?
- What is your fee structure?
- Which out-of-pocket expenses am I required to pay?
- What resources do you have available to gather evidence to support my case, including access to medical expert witnesses?
Can I Afford a Dental Malpractice Attorney?
Yes. Morgan & Morgan’s attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means that if we fail to win a jury verdict or recover a favorable settlement, you pay us nothing. That’s right; it’s free unless you win. And our clients win a lot — to date, they’ve recovered more than $7 billion.
If you still have questions about your potential dental malpractice case, or are ready to start speaking with attorneys, click here for a free, no-obligation consultation.