Can I Sue the Police Department for Violating My Rights?

Can I Sue the Police Department for Violating My Rights?

  • The Fee Is Free Unless You Win®.
  • America's Largest Injury Law Firm™
  • Protecting Families Since 1988
  • 20 Billion+ Won
  • 1,000+ Lawyers Nationwide

Free Case Evaluation

Tell us about your situation so we can get started fighting for you. We tailor each case to meet our clients' needs.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
Our results speak for themselves

The attorneys featured above are licensed in Florida. For a full list of attorneys in your state please visit our attorney page.

Can I Sue the Police Department for Violating My Rights?

You have rights as a citizen in the United States that must be protected under state laws as well as the constitution. If you believe that a violation of your rights has occurred, this prompts the question, "Can I sue the police department for violating my rights?"

These are very complex cases and often require the insight of an experienced and dedicated lawyer. An experienced criminal defense lawyer or personal injury lawyer will be able to assist you when you are asking the question, "Can I sue the police department for violating my rights?" 

Violations of rights are taken extremely seriously by anyone who is accused, so it is extremely important to make sure that you have ample evidence supporting the basis of your claims so that you can confidently move forward with your next steps. It will be very important to have this evidence organized so that you can argue when your civil rights have been violated or when the police have engaged in misconduct. 

When Can I Sue the Police?

There are certain circumstances in which the police might have violated your rights and put you in the position to file a lawsuit. Suing the police is one option available to you if those officers have engaged in misconduct that violated your constitutional rights. It can be very difficult to succeed in these kinds of lawsuits, but it definitely is possible. A victim of police misconduct should engage an attorney sooner rather than later to walk through all of their possible steps and determine what to do next. 

There are several different kinds of examples of police behavior that might be classified as misconduct. These can include police brutality, actions of corruption, perjury, falsification of evidence, racial profiling, false arrest, coercion, fraud, imprisonment, abuse of authority, spoilation of evidence, and sexual or physical assault. However, certain kinds of police misconduct claims are more common than others. It is also possible that based on the specifics of your individual case you have more than one police misconduct claim.

You can also make a claim against an officer in other ways, but you should know that this does not mean the same thing as filing a suit in an attempt to recover compensation. Some victims of police actions might also be able to pursue private lawsuits against an officer or department based on what happened, so getting legal advice to go through your concerns in full will help you. A lawyer can sit down with you to discuss all the potential parties who could be held liable in a lawsuit and what action steps you can take to hold those people accountable. These might include administrative as well as legal options for you. 

Most Common Types of Misconduct Claims

In order to answer the question, "Can I sue the police department for violating my rights?"—you need to understand what types of actions the police are allowed to do and are not allowed to do. This will give you the opportunity to come forward with any evidence while it is fresh in your mind and present it to your lawyer when you intend to sue for police misconduct. Certain types of police misconduct cases are more common than others and due to the existing case law and previous interpretations of these kinds of suits, you have a greater chance of being successful in these claims by understanding them. 

Harassment is one of the most common types of misconduct claims because this includes a pattern of behavior on the part of the officers or the entire department, such as surveilling or spying on you illegally, making racist, homophobic, or sexist comments, or racial profiling. It is very important to understand the specific circumstances of what happened and what was said or done to you because this information will come up as evidence. A second common type of police violation is a 4th amendment violation. 

Your 4th amendment rights include protection from unreasonable searches or seizures. Police are classified as agents of the government and therefore, must adhere to everything listed in the 4th amendment. When an officer violates your 4th amendment rights, such as arresting you without probable cause or searching your home without a valid warrant, this may impact the remainder of any criminal case against you but can also be considered subject to a lawsuit on its own. This can cause you to ask, "Can I sue the police department for violating my rights?"

Another common type of police misconduct case is known as excessive force. This is when you have sustained a serious injury or have had a loved one pass away due to excessive force from police officers. A victim or surviving family member must be able to show a couple of different elements, such that the amount of force used was completely unnecessary and that the officer would have been able to accomplish their goal without pursuing this. Another common type of police misconduct case is discrimination. 

This is similar to harassment, but it might be on the basis of sex, gender, ethnicity, race, or sexual orientation, indicating that this behavior is part of an overall pattern. In addition to filing a civil lawsuit and suing the police department for violating your rights, you may also be able to file a complaint against the department entirely or against the officer. You would need to do this with the internal affairs section of the police department or go to the department of justice. At that point in time, the department of justice will investigate your claim and determine whether or not they want to continue with the investigation. They can file their own criminal or civil case against the law enforcement agency.

Scroll down for more

Get answers to commonly asked questions about our legal services and learn how we may assist you with your case.

Morgan & Morgan

  • Who Do I Sue?

    When sitting down with an experienced lawyer, you may be curious about who gets named in a lawsuit like this. It is important to understand governmental immunity, which is a policy that protects government agencies from lawsuits in many different cases. Individual supervisors, police officers, and police departments could all be named in a lawsuit alleging police misconduct. 

    Police officers typically have some form of qualified immunity, which means that they are protected from being sued directly so long as they were acting within the standards and guidelines of their job. However, you could still have grounds to sue a police department for violating your rights if the officer acted negligently or unreasonably. 

    You will need to gather evidence as soon as possible in your case to help make a claim like this. Qualified and governmental immunity policies make it difficult to sue anyone other than the officer who was directly involved in your case. In the vast majority of other cases in which others have been named, courts do not find supervisors liable for the actions of a police officer they hired or another person. 

    Any person who is interacting with the police has protection for their civil rights. They have the right not to be discriminated against, harassed or assaulted and are also protected from unreasonable search and seizure or the use of unreasonable force. 

    The plaintiff who is filing the lawsuit in this situation will typically include the police department as a defendant in the lawsuit, but you will need to show that this is indicative of an overall pattern of excessive force, discrimination, or harassment. 

    Given the high stakes involved in lawsuits like this, it is imperative that you consult with an experienced attorney who can help guide you through the process and protect your rights at each stage of the claim.

  • Why Do I Need a Lawyer?

    As is mentioned above, there’s a lot that goes into the process of accusing an officer or a department of violating your rights. You need to know that you have someone in your corner who understands these cases and who can help you avoid common mistakes early in the process. This is why you want to discuss the specifics of your claim as soon as possible after it happens while the details of the incident are still fresh in your mind. Finding a lawyer who has managed cases like this before can make a big difference in the outcome of your case.

    Should I Sign Anything From the Department? 

    Paperwork might be presented to you at various stages during an arrest process. It’s always good to voice that you wish you exercise your right to a lawyer as soon as you can, because this helps you better understand what you’re being asked to sign and if it’s in your best interests. You want to be careful with any paperwork you’re asked to sign as this might waive some of your rights or cause other problems for your future claim against the department.

    Our law firm has extensive experience pursuing claims in which an officer or department is liable. Schedule a time to speak with us during an initial consultation here if you believe your rights have been violated. You get started with a free, no-obligation case evaluation. Let us help you get the justice and compensation you deserve so that you can have the necessary means to move on with your life.

Scroll down for more Load More

Find out if you are eligible for a Civil Rights lawsuit

Take our FREE quiz to see if you qualify for a lawsuit.

How it works

It's easy to get started.
The Fee Is Free Unless You Win®.

Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.

  • Step 1

    your claim

    With a free case evaluation, submitting your case is easy with Morgan & Morgan.

  • Step 2

    We take

    Our dedicated team gets to work investigating your claim.

  • Step 3

    We fight
    for you

    If we take on the case, our team fights to get you the results you deserve.



Customer Story

“I was in a difficult situation when I was injured by a faulty product. I was hesitant to seek legal help but with the help of Morgan & Morgan, they made the process easy. They took immediate action and got me the compensation I deserved. I couldn't have done it without them. I highly recommend their services.” Estate of Patricia Allen v. RJ Reynolds, et al. | 2014

Client success
stories that inspire and drive change

Explore over 55,000 5-star reviews and 800 client testimonials to discover why people trust Morgan & Morgan.

Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Based on Select nationwide reviews

  • Video thumbnail for 5l3q2e67j8
    Wistia video play button
  • Video thumbnail for yfe952tcop
    Wistia video play button
  • Video thumbnail for z1bqwg9hkl
    Wistia video play button
  • Video thumbnail for s5nb3hnvkv
    Wistia video play button
  • Video thumbnail for t4elibxene
    Wistia video play button
  • Video thumbnail for 5nr9efxqj3
    Wistia video play button
  • Video thumbnail for e8s1x6u5jp
    Wistia video play button