Derrick R. Connell is the managing partner of the Melbourne, Florida office of Morgan & Morgan, P.A. Derrick’s practice focuses on representing clients injured in serious automobile accidents, wrongful death, premises liability, general personal injury cases and other forms of negligence. Derrick believes that everyone deserves the best possible representation no matter how big or small their case.
Over the years, Derrick has obtained millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for his clients. He is no stranger in the courtroom. Some of Derrick’s recent verdicts include: $1.14 million (motor vehicle crash), $150,000 (trip and fall), $327,000 (auto negligence), $106,000 (motor vehicle crash), $75,000 (pedestrian accident), and $550,000 (auto negligence). Additionally, in what was said to be the first successful trial of its nature, Derrick helped his client prevail in a multi-week complex product liability trial against a major corporation. Derrick has secured excess verdicts in numerous motor vehicle collision trials. In addition to trial victories, Derrick has recovered millions of dollars in settlements for his deserving clients.
Derrick has been named Top 40 under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers for four straight years; named a “Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers magazine— an annual publication that recognizes the top 2.5% of the state’s young lawyers; and given an AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell – this rating signifies that his peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence for his legal knowledge, communication skills and ethical standards. In 2018, he was selected as a Top Ranked Lawyer by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell.
Derrick is a member of the Brevard County Bar Association and the Florida Justice Association. He is a recipient of the Bronze Eagle Award, presented by the FJA; recipient of the Judge T. Mitchell Barlow Young Lawyer Professionalism Award; and is a past BCBA Young Lawyers Board Member.
Derrick, a Lanier County Georgia native, earned his Bachelor’s degree from Valdosta State University, his Master of Business Administration from Stetson University, and his Juris Doctor from Stetson University College of Law with a Concentration in Advocacy. While in law school, Mr. Connell was a teaching assistant, Stetson Ambassador, Student Bar Association Member and recipient of the William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award. Mr. Connell was honored as a recipient of the Victor O. Wehle Trial Advocacy Award, inducted into The National Order of Barristers and awarded the prestigious Edward D. Foreman Most Distinguished Student Award. In 2015, Valdosta State University presented Derrick with the prestigious Distinguished Alumnus award. As a member of Stetson’s nationally ranked Trial Team, Mr. Connell was a two-time National Trial Champion. He first won the AAJ STAC, beating over 240 teams from law schools around the country. Then in 2009 Mr. Connell won the National Civil Trial Competition, where he was named the Best Advocate in both the preliminary and final rounds – a first for this event. He was also a Moot Court Board Associate Justice – winning the 2009 E. Earle Zehmer Moot Court Competition.
Mr. Connell was a Judicial Intern to the Honorable Judge D. Horrox and the Honorable Judge D. Demers, a Certified Legal Intern in The Sixth Judicial Circuit State Attorney’s Office and a Legal Intern for the United States Attorney’s Office, Middle District of Florida. Derrick is married to Kelly R. Connell and together they have a son and daughter.
Call Derrick directly at 321-327-6936 to discuss your case.
- Car Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Wrongful Death
|$327,497.00 Verdict||Edwards v. Kyle||Car Accidents||2017|
|$150,000.00 Verdict||Chaires v. Cocoa Expo||Slip & Fall||2016|
|$1,140,000.00 Verdict||Barnes v. Fitzpatrick||Car Accidents||2015|
Edwards v. Kyle
Verdict - 2017
Chaires v. Cocoa Expo
Verdict - 2016
Barnes v. Fitzpatrick
Verdict - 2015
Honors & Awards
- Top 40 Under 40 should have 2014, 2015, 2016
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2015, 2016
- 2015 Distinguished Alumnus Award: Valdosta State University
- 10 Best in Client Satisfaction: American Institute of Personal Injury Lawyers – 2015
- AV Preeminent: Martindale-Hubbell
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Top One Percent - 2015
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40
- Judge T. Mitchell Barlow Young Lawyer Professionalism Award, 2014
- Lawyer to Legacy 2011 Bronze Eagle Award, Florida Justice Association
- Edward D. Foreman Award
- Victor O. Wehle Trial Advocacy Award
- 2009 National Civil Trial Competition: National Champion & Overall Best Advocate
- 2009 AAJ Student Trial Advocacy Competition, National Champion
- 2009 E. Earle Zehmer Moot Court Competition, Champion
- William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award
- 2018 Top Ranked Lawyer, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- The Order of Barristers
- Florida Justice Association
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Brevard County Bar Association
- The Stetson Lawyers Association
- Stetson University College of Law, Juris Doctor
- Certificate of Concentration in Advocacy
- Trial Team
- Moot Court Board, Associate Judge
- Leadership Development Certificate
- Stetson University, Master of Business Administration
- Valdosta State University, Bachelor of Arts - Political Science
- Honors Program