Sinkhole Attorney in Tallahassee313 North Monroe Street, Suite 401
Tallahassee, FL 32301
- The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
- America's Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
- 20 Billion+ Won
- 1,000+ Lawyers Nationwide
Free Case Evaluation
The attorneys featured above are licensed in Florida. For a full list of attorneys in your state please visit our attorney page.
Tallahassee Sinkhole Damages
If you live in Tallahassee, you may appreciate the city’s beautiful lakes and parks, including Lake Jackson, Lake Lafayette, Cascades Park, and Governors Park. However, you may have also noticed that in Tallahassee and throughout the state of Florida, we have a sinkhole problem.
These naturally occurring disasters are extremely dangerous and can damage your home and personal property. Unfortunately, insurers are often aware of these problems and sometimes engage in unsavory business practices, leaving the homeowner to deal with the consequences.
That’s where we at Morgan & Morgan come in — we stand up to the insurance companies so you receive just compensation. Our firm has many attorneys with decades of experience all focused on one goal: fighting for your rights. Contact us today to learn more about how we may be able to help.
What Causes Sinkholes in Tallahassee?
Florida, the ground we stand and work on is an earthen layered sandwich comprised of limestone at the very bottom, clay in the middle, and sand on top. It is the bottom limestone layer that gives the ground support. Over time, this limestone naturally erodes, making the ground above unstable. When the limestone layer fully deteriorates from seeping rainwater, sinkholes form.
Still, this natural process can be accelerated by the following human activities:
- Creating artificial ponds and lakes using groundwater
- Channeling water drainage into a single concentrated area
- The drilling of new water wells
- Withdrawing too much groundwater
What to Do When a Sinkhole Opens on Your Tallahassee Property
You just purchased a new home for you and your family when suddenly a sinkhole opens in your backyard. What should you do? With the assistance of an experienced insurance attorney, you may be able to obtain maximum compensation.
Below are some of the steps you should take if you believe a sinkhole has formed on your property:
- Contact your insurer — Your first move should be to contact your insurer to let them know of the hazard. They will then send an adjuster out to inspect your property. Additionally, a geologist will be sent to investigate the ground, determine if a sinkhole is present, and determine the likelihood of other sinkholes developing on the property. At no point should you agree to or sign anything before consulting with your lawyer.
- Contact your attorney — After letting your insurer know about the incident, you should then contact your lawyer. It is important to remember that insurance companies are businesses seeking to reduce costs and increase profits — not protect your best interests. A sinkhole lawyer, on the other hand, will fight to ensure your case is properly investigated and evaluated.
- Take action — Depending on the outcome of your insurer’s investigation, you may have a few different courses of action. The best case scenario is that your insurer identifies the hazard as a sinkhole and provides you with appropriate compensation to repair the hazard and damaged property. The worst case scenario is your claim is denied. You should also keep in mind that your insurer may acknowledge the existence of a sinkhole on your property but fail to provide you with the necessary compensation to fully remedy the situation.
If your claim is denied or if your insurer undervalues your claim, our legal team will fight aggressively on your behalf. We have handled hundreds of sinkhole claims and know the strategies employed by insurers.
Tallahassee Sinkhole Lawyers Stand Up For Your Rights
At Morgan & Morgan, we know how to protect your rights. Sinkholes are dangerous, unpredictable occurrences that can destroy your home and endanger your family. If you believe a sinkhole has opened on your property, let our attorneys help you get the compensation you deserve. Speak to a skilled lawyer today by calling (850) 329-6895 or contacting us online.
How it works
It's easy to get started.
The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
With a free case evaluation, submitting your case is easy with Morgan & Morgan.
Our dedicated team gets to work investigating your claim.
If we take on the case, our team fights to get you the results you deserve.
stories that inspire and drive change
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Based on Select nationwide reviews