Birth Injury Lawyer in Charleston222 Capitol Street, Suite 400
Charleston, WV 25301
- The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
- America's Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
- $15 Billion+ Won
- 800+ Lawyers Nationwide
Free Case Evaluation
The attorneys featured above are licensed in Florida. For a full list of attorneys in your state please visit our attorney page.
Charleston, WV Birth Injury
If your child sustained a birth injury, a birth injury attorney may be able to help you recover the compensation you deserve. If the facts of the case indicate medical negligence, an attorney can help you file a lawsuit seeking to ease the financial burden of a lifetime of care.
Our attorneys in West Virginia have extensive experience in birth injury cases, and we understand that birth injuries are traumatic for parents as well as children. That’s why we’re ready to fight tirelessly to protect your rights and secure your child’s future.
To learn more, contact us for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.
Recent verdicts & settlements
Scroll down for more
How it works
It's easy to get started.
The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
With a free case evaluation, submitting your case is easy with Morgan & Morgan.
Our dedicated team gets to work investigating your claim.
If we take on the case, our team fights to get you the results you deserve.
Get answers to commonly asked questions about our legal services and learn how we may assist you with your case.
Morgan & Morgan
How a Birth Injury Attorney Can Help
In addition to the emotional pain, birth injuries can also burden parents with tremendous financial strain. Because of their injuries, a child may require specialized schooling, physical therapy, and lifelong medical care — all of which can be costly.
While Social Security does provide some level of support, an experienced attorney may be able to help parents recover the full compensation they need to give their child the life they deserve. If you believe medical negligence caused your child’s injury, you may be able to recover damages for pain and suffering, medical bills, lost earning capacity, and other expenses.
Morgan & Morgan attorneys consult with experts to determine a total dollar figure for all the costs associated with the birth injury. Then we file a lawsuit seeking full compensation from the negligent party.
Examples of Medical Negligence
To file a successful birth injury claim, you must be able to prove that the injuries were caused by medical negligence. That means that the care provided by doctors or other medical professionals fell short of the standard expected in the medical industry.
Doctors and medical personnel are required to monitor the fetus for signs of distress and act to remedy any problems that arise. If they fail to monitor appropriately, or do not act in a timely manner and an injury occurs, a birth injury claim may be warranted.
Common types of birth injury claims include the following:
- Improper extraction: When infants have difficulty passing through the birth canal, doctors may have to use forceps or vacuums to guide them. Applying excessive force with either can cause significant injuries.
- Delayed caesarean section: If the fetus is showing signs of distress, an emergency C-section may be required. If the medical team fails to recognize the need for a C-section or does not act quickly enough, injuries can occur.
- Hypoxia: Hypoxia occurs when the child is not receiving enough oxygen to the brain. Physicians are trained to spot signs of hypoxia early and act accordingly. If they don’t do so and an injury occurs, the doctor and/or hospital could be liable for damages.
Here are some other instances of negligence that can cause birth injuries:
- Improper use of a labor-inducing drug called Pitocin
- Insufficient prenatal testing
- Failure to diagnose and properly treat complications during birth
- Failure to refer high-risk patients to specialists
Types of Birth Injuries
Our attorneys file lawsuits relating to many types of birth injuries:
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy
- Klumpke’s palsy
- Shoulder dystocia
- Soft tissue damage
- Facial paralysis
- Drug-related injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord damage
- Umbilical cord strangulation
- Internal bleeding
If your child was injured at birth because of medical negligence, we want you to know that you’re not alone. Morgan & Morgan is here to provide advice, support, and guidance. Our experienced birth injury attorneys can review your case, gather the necessary evidence, and determine if medical negligence caused your child’s injury. If so, we are one of the few firms with the reputation and resources to take on a healthcare or insurance company and win.
It costs nothing up front to hire us, and we get paid only if we recover a favorable settlement or jury award for you. Complete our free, no-obligation case evaluation to see how we can help you and your family.