Birmingham Medical Malpractice
From a simple check-up to a major surgery, doctors have a standard of care to perform, and they generally do. The result is an educated, steady hand working to maintain your health.
Occasionally, though, doctors fail to meet the standard of care expected of them. Mistakes or negligence on the part of medical professional can result in their patients developing a life-threatening infection or illness that can leave them disabled, or worse.
At the Morgan & Morgan office in Birmingham, our medical malpractice attorneys know what it takes to bring a successful medical malpractice claim, and will work medical experts to prove your medical care did not meet professional standards. Contact us today to find out if we can help you file a claim.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice does not refer to just kind of medical error, and can occur in many different ways. For example, a surgical error, like if a doctor performed the wrong surgery, would qualify, but the negligence is not always so explicit. Some other forms of medical malpractice include:
- Misdiagnosis, as well as the failure to diagnose a medical condition in a timely manner
- Prescribing wrong drugs, causing harmful side effects or overdose
- Over-prescribing drugs and helping cause a harmful addiction
- Waiting too long or failing to perform a circumstantially necessary medical procedure, such as a C-section
- Failing to follow proper medical hygiene procedures, leading to dangerous infections
- Failure to monitor patients
This list is certainly not exhaustive. Whether you’re going under the knife or not, if you leave a medical professional feeling worse than you started, and think they might be the one to blame, it may be time to consider contacting an attorney.
Why is Medical Malpractice Important in Alabama?
Medical malpractice is one of the most complex areas of the law because it includes concepts from the medical and legal profession that are advanced and difficult to explain, not to mention constantly evolving to meet new standards. Alabama state law also imposes special procedural requirements on medical malpractice claims in an effort to discourage them and encourage settlement before trial.
You don’t have to accept this reality in Birmingham. Our attorneys comb through medical records to get the most accurate depiction possible of what occurred. These records are reviewed by medical professionals to determine their importance in relation to the case, and if they hold any information that can help us recover compensation on your behalf.
According to the National Practitioner Data Bank, compiled by the U.S. Department of Health, there were 148,909 settlements, awards, judgments, or other monetary exchanges related to medical malpractice claims from 2005-2015. Here are some of our biggest malpractice wins:
- $3 million settlement for a family after a 38-year-old husband and father passed after a failure to diagnose and treat an infection.
- $1.5 million settlement after a brain injury to a newborn during birth.
- $1.25 million verdict awarded to the husband of a 63-year-old woman who passed away during a cardiac stent procedure.
- $1.25 million settlement after the failure to diagnose and treat an infection resulted in the death of a 51-year-old mother.
- $1.1 million settlement for a client who was the victim of negligence on the part of a neurosurgeon during an operation, causing paraplegia.
- $1 million settlement for a 38-year-old woman after a failure to diagnose her colon cancer.
- $1 million settlement for the wrongful death of a 60-year-old man after a nursing staff failed to respond to his respiratory arrest.
Speak to a Birmingham Medical Malpractice Attorney Today
Seeking justice and damages for a medical error can add even more of a hassle to an already frustrating and possibly debilitating experience. A competent medical malpractice attorney can be a valuable ally in the pursuit of your legal goals.
Our Morgan & Morgan team in Birmingham is ready to represent you with vigor and compassion and has a long track record of success when it comes to medical malpractice cases. Fill out our free, no-risk case evaluation form if you’re ready to start seeking justice today.
OfficesUpdate my location
Current call wait: 5 seconds