Truck Accident Lawyers in Orlando, FL
Orlando Trucking Accidents
20 North Orange Ave, Suite 1600
Orlando, FL 32801
- $15 Billion+ Won
- 800+ Lawyers Nationwide
- The Fee is FreeTM, Only Pay If We Win
- America’s Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
Orlando Trucking Accidents
With the growing need for shipping in the United States, drivers often share the road with massive commercial trucks and tractor trailers. These can be more than 10 times the size and weight of your vehicle.
We trust that commercial drivers and trucking companies can recognize the possibility for danger there and operate their vehicle with care and professionalism. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.
Accidents can happen, whether from negligent drivers or from truck companies taking shortcuts - cutting corners on maintenance, hiring under-qualified drivers, or pushing those drivers beyond their physical limits.
When serious accidents occur because of these shortcuts, the truck accident lawyers at Morgan & Morgan in Orlando hold negligent trucking companies accountable and ensure their victims have the compensation they need to maintain a high quality of life.
Our success include winning a $1.4 million settlement for a family after the father was killed in a truck on truck collision.
Get your free consultation today.
What Makes Trucking Accidents Different?
Any motor vehicle accident can be devastatingly violent, leading to serious injuries or death. Consider that, in Florida, a loaded commercial tractor-trailer may weigh up to 80,000 pounds (potentially even more with a special permit).
These massive vehicles are often powered by engines that can produce more than 1,000 horsepower, propelling these 40-ton vehicles up to highway speeds in excess of 70 miles per hour.
Such a vehicle can take hundreds of feet to come to a stop, even when driver and vehicle are both functioning properly. When there is a mechanical failure, or a driver falls asleep behind the wheel, these vehicles can become rolling catastrophes on Florida's crowded freeways.
Florida and National Trucking Regulations
Because of theses dangers, truckers and trucking companies are subject to numerous laws and regulations:
- Hours of Service (HOS): The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) limits a truck driver to no more than 11 hours behind the wheel after each 10-hour break. A driver cannot drive more than 8 hours without taking at least a 30-minute break and must take a 10-hour break every 14 hours. Drivers must keep a logbook as proof of their observance of these rules.
- Florida Vehicle Safety Regulations: Florida State Troopers conduct spot safety inspections at weigh stations throughout the state. For minor violations, truckers are given 15 days to prove they have been remedied. More serious violations can result in the vehicle and/or driver being immediately taken out of service.
- Medical Certifications: Truck drivers must pass a medical examination to ensure they are not at risk for any conditions that could make them hazardous on the road. They must carry a certificate proving they have done this at all times. They must be re-certified every two years.
Despite these and other safety regulations and the great lengths federal and state authorities go to enforce them, some drivers and companies are still able to operate out of compliance. When this occurs and a serious injury to another motorist results, Florida truck accident lawyers know how to uncover it
Florida Truck Accident Lawyers Protect Your Rights
Truck accidents are capable of causing devastating injuries and the Florida trucking companies that cause them are quick to circle the wagons to cover up any signs of negligence on non-compliance with motor carrier regulations. Our Orlando truck accident lawyers at Morgan & Morgan have years of experience cutting through the smokescreen and uncovering the cover-up.
We know how hold negligent Florida truckers accountable so they will think twice before cutting corners or violating the rules. If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident in Florida, we may be able to help. Call Morgan & Morgan at 877.667.426 or request a free case evaluation online. There is no obligation.