- The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
- America's Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
- $15 Billion+ Won
- 800+ Lawyers Nationwide
Free Case Evaluation
The attorneys featured above are licensed in Florida. For a full list of attorneys in your state please visit our attorney page.
Macon, GA Nursing Home Abuse
Elders hold a special place in society, beloved as friends, parents, grandparents, and mentors. They can also be highly vulnerable, and sometimes are the victims of abuse and neglect. Complicating matters further is the fact that they can be too embarrassed or confused to come forward and report it.
Georgia has specific laws that protect people over 65 and those suffering from debilitating dementia — and no one knows them better than our attorneys. If you or a loved one have suffered from nursing home abuse, the Morgan & Morgan Macon office is here to help.
To find out more, fill out our free, no-obligation case evaluation form. One of our attorneys will research your case and be in touch about possible next steps.
What is Considered Elder Abuse in Georgia?
Georgia law protects elders as a higher-risk group and specifically prohibits their neglect, abuse, and exploitation. Some examples of these include:
- Abuse: The law prohibits physical and mental abuse, including striking elders, the threat of violence or neglect, and sexual abuse. Also falling under this category is withholding food, water, or medication.
- Negligence: In Georgia, negligence is defined as the failure to provide elders with basic care and services. This includes clothing, food, shelter, and medical care. Negligent caregivers could also be charged for leaving elders alone for extended periods of time.
- Exploitation: It’s illegal to rob or otherwise take advantage of elders. Examples of elder exploitation include using force, threats, or deceit to steal property or money. This also includes taking Social Security checks and forcing elders to sign power-of-attorney documents.
What Are Some Symptoms of Abuse and Neglect?
Elder abuse is a crime that is underreported, so it’s best to stay vigilant. If you have a loved one living in a nursing home, be on the lookout for these symptoms of abuse and neglect:
- Unexplained injuries or frequent falls
- Undiagnosed diet issues resulting in dehydration, hunger, or weight loss
- Psychological symptoms such as depression, withdrawal, or lack of alertness
- Poor hygiene
- Unclean living environment
- Missing money or valuables
Georgia law allows the victims of nursing home abuse to receive compensation for damages that include:
- Pain and suffering
- Physical trauma
- Hospitalization and medical costs
- Loss of life’s enjoyment
- Punitive damages in some cases
Statute of Limitations
If you are considering pursuing a lawsuit regarding nursing home abuse, act now. There is a two-year statute of limitations for filing a nursing home abuse claim in Georgia. If you think you have a case, get in touch with our Macon office today.
Contact Morgan & Morgan
We take nursing home abuse very seriously. If we accept your case, we will take immediate steps to stop the abuse and report it to Georgia authorities. In the case of a lawsuit, we will seek all appropriate compensation as well as punitive damages if the situation warrants it.
If you or someone you love were a victim of elder abuse, don’t keep it to yourself. Contact Morgan & Morgan and let us help you fight for justice. We have over 30 years of experience fighting For The People, and you pay nothing unless you win. To learn more, fill out our no-obligation case evaluation form and one of our attorneys will contact you.
Recent verdicts & settlements
Scroll down for more
How it works
It's easy to get started.
The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
With a free case evaluation, submitting your case is easy with Morgan & Morgan.
Our dedicated team gets to work investigating your claim.
If we take on the case, our team fights to get you the results you deserve.
stories that inspire and drive change
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Based on Select nationwide reviews