Hydroxycut, a popular weight loss supplement, has been recalled following reports of liver damage and other serious health problems.
Hydroxycut products are dietary supplements used to lose weight. These products are used as energy-boosters, fat burners, and low carb diet aids. Symptoms of liver injury caused by Hydroxycut may include jaundice, which is a yellowing of the eyes or skin, and abdominal pain. Other symptoms of liver problems can include vomiting, nausea, fatigue, brown urine, loss of appetite and light-colored stools.
Hydroxycut Side Effects
The FDA is urging consumers to stop using Hydroxycut products after receiving 23 reports of serious Hydroxycut side effects. These include:
- Elevated liver enzymes
- Liver damage that required a liver transplant
The FDA has received one report of a death due to liver failure. In addition, Hydroxycut products have been linked to cardiovascular disorders, seizures, and rhabdomyolysis, a form of muscle damage that can lead to kidney failure.
Dietary Supplement Risk
The potential dangers of Hydroxycut were initially reported more than five years ago, but the manufacturers failed to warn consumers of these risks and did not take steps to correct potentially dangerous side effects. Though it is advertised as being composed of natural ingredients, not all natural substances are safe, and some of the ingredients may not have been adequately researched.
Some side effects Hydroxycut users may be suffering from include:
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes)
- elevated liver enzymes
- liver damage (including symptoms such as brown urine, light-colored stools, stomach or abdominal pain, and itching)
- liver failure and/or injury requiring liver transplant
- cardiovascular disorders
- kidney failure
Those experiencing any of these symptoms should contact a doctor and Hydroxycut lawyer immediately. It is important to retain both unused Hydroxycut products and proof of purchase.
Hydroxycut accounts for approximately 90% of the national market for weight loss supplements. Sales of the supplement reach about 1 million bottles a year. The following products are involved in the Hydroxycut recall:
- Hydroxycut Hardcore Liquid Caplets
- Hydroxycut Max Liquid Caplets
- Hydroxycut Regular Rapid Release Caplets
- Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Rapid Release Caplets
- Hydroxycut Regular Drink Packets
- Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Drink packets
- Hydroxycut Hardcore Drink packets
- Hydroxycut Max Drink Packets
- Hydroxycut Hardcore RTDS, Ready to Drink
- Hydroxycut Liquid Shots
- Hydroxycut Max Aqua Shed
- Hydroxycut 24
- Hydroxycut Natural
- Hydroxycut Carb Control
Though the FDA has not received reports of liver problems associated with all of these Hydroxycut products, Iovate Health Sciences Inc., has agreed to recall all of the above products. The FDA has yet to discover which ingredients, doses or health conditions are linked to these Hydroxycut side effects.
Offices near You
Current call wait: 6 seconds