- The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
- America's Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
- 20 Billion+ Won
- 1,000+ Lawyers Nationwide
Free Case Evaluation
The attorneys featured above are licensed in Florida. For a full list of attorneys in your state please visit our attorney page.
Jackson Wrongful Death
The death of a loved one is indescribably heartbreaking. Likely, the last thing on your mind as you mourn your loss is a lawsuit. However, a wrongful death claim can help your family regain financial security while holding the negligent person or corporation responsible.
Morgan & Morgan's Jackson office is dedicated to fighting for the people against the powerful. Our wrongful death lawyers and staff show your family compassion, privacy, and respect during this difficult time. We shoulder the legal burden so you can focus on your family and the grieving process. Call us today to talk about your case.
Get answers to commonly asked questions about our legal services and learn how we may assist you with your case.
Morgan & Morgan
Mississippi Wrongful Death Laws
Wrongful death claims are governed by Mississippi Code § 11-7-13. Under Mississippi law, a spouse, child, parent or sibling may bring a wrongful death lawsuit against a negligent person or corporation. Typically, the personal representative or executor of the estate files the wrongful death action and collects damages on behalf of the beneficiaries. The estate's personal representative then distributes the damages as specified by statute as such:
- Equally divided between the deceased’s spouse and children
- Everything to the spouse if the deceased has no children
- Everything to the children of an unmarried person
- Equally distributed to parents and siblings of an unmarried, childless person
- Damages go to the estate for general distribution if deceased has no living spouse, child, parent or sibling or their decedents
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim
A wrongful death claim is based upon the underlying personal injury. In other words, you must prove all elements of the personal injury claim and that the injury caused your loved one’s death. You also must show that you have standing to file the claim under the Mississippi wrongful death statute. Our Jackson wrongful death attorneys strategically negotiate with the negligent parties and their insurance companies for an equitable settlement -- or, if we believe a trial can produce better results, we aggressively litigate the claim.
Wrongful Death Damages
Damages depend upon the facts of your individual case, but may include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills related to the fatal injury
- Loss of future income
- Loss of benefits, such as healthcare, pension or Social Security
- Loss of services, such as childcare, cooking, homemaking, accounting and security
- Loss of companionship, moral support, guidance, love, and advice
- Personal injury damages the deceased was entitled to
Contact Our Mississippi Wrongful Death Law Firm Today
Morgan & Morgan advocates for your family after the loss of your loved one. Our experienced Jackson wrongful death attorneys are ready to discuss your rights and options for recovery. Schedule a free case evaluation.
How it works
It's easy to get started.
The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
With a free case evaluation, submitting your case is easy with Morgan & Morgan.
Our dedicated team gets to work investigating your claim.
If we take on the case, our team fights to get you the results you deserve.
stories that inspire and drive change
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Based on Select nationwide reviews