Maritime Attorney in Charleston222 Capitol Street, Suite 400
Charleston, WV 25301
- The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
- America's Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
- 20 Billion+ Won
- 1,000+ Lawyers Nationwide
Free Case Evaluation
The attorneys featured above are licensed in Florida. For a full list of attorneys in your state please visit our attorney page.
Charleston, WV Maritime
The Kanawha River means a great deal to the landlocked state of West Virginia, and it runs right through Charleston. If you spend a lot of time on the water, it helps to have an understanding of maritime law.
Have you or a loved one been injured while offshore? Contact Morgan & Morgan’s Charleston, West Virginia office to find out if you’re eligible for compensation. Fill out a free, no-obligation case evaluation form to get started.
Get answers to commonly asked questions about our legal services and learn how we may assist you with your case.
Morgan & Morgan
Notable Maritime Laws
“Offshore” is a unique job location, as it doesn’t always correlate with state or national boundaries. Maritime law protects those who work on and around the water.
- The Merchant Marine Act of 1920: Also known as the Jones Act, this legislation holds owners and operators accountable for keeping their vessels in seaworthy condition.
- Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act (LHWCA): The LHWCA provides coverage for employees who work on navigable waters of the United States as well as adjoining areas like docks, piers, and loading areas.
Types of Maritime Injury Claims
Workers’ compensation: If you’re injured while working at sea, you may file a workers’ compensation claim to receive coverage and other benefits.
Negligence: In a case of negligence, you might sue your employer or boating insurance company. In order to prove negligence, you’ll need evidence such as:
- Photographs or videos of injury or property damage
- Photographs or videos of the scene of the incident
- Eyewitness statements
- Police reports
Maritime Injury Damages
Though maritime injuries can vary, there are a few types of commonly claimed damages.
Medical bills: You may be entitled to compensation for medical treatment, services, and supplies in addition to travel expenses for said treatment.
Disability compensation: There are a few factors that determine how much you may be compensated for a maritime disability claim. Based on the severity of the injury, your claim will be filed under one of the following categories:
- Permanent total or temporary total disability
- Permanent partial disability
- Temporary partial and nonscheduled permanent partial disability
- Permanent partial disability for retirees
Death benefits: If you’ve lost a loved one to a maritime injury, the compensation you’re owed depends on your relationship to them. The family may receive up to $3,000 for funeral expenses, and widows may receive half of the deceased’s weekly wages until they pass away or remarry. If you’re the firstborn child and the sole survivor, you may also claim 50% of the deceased’s weekly wages.
We Don’t Get Paid Unless You Win
Our maritime lawyers work on a contingency fee basis: we don’t get paid until we win, and we take our fee out of the trial winnings or successful settlement. You’ll never have to pay out of pocket, which means you can always afford our top-tier representation.
Contact Morgan & Morgan
Morgan & Morgan has the resources to take on the biggest bullies and win. Here are some of the other benefits of working with us:
- Over $20 billion recovered for our clients
- More than 1,000 attorneys across the country
- 24/7 access to our team
If you’ve suffered a maritime injury, you’ll need an attorney that specializes in maritime law. Contact Morgan & Morgan’s Charleston, West Virginia office, or fill out a free case evaluation form to learn how we can help.
How it works
It's easy to get started.
The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
With a free case evaluation, submitting your case is easy with Morgan & Morgan.
Our dedicated team gets to work investigating your claim.
If we take on the case, our team fights to get you the results you deserve.
stories that inspire and drive change
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Based on Select nationwide reviews