Can I File a Lawsuit?
In Minnesota, you only have two years from the date of your injury to file a lawsuit. That’s why it’s critical that you contact an attorney as soon as possible. Only a personal injury lawyer can determine if you qualify for lawsuit, and how much you might be owed from the negligent party.
What Do Personal Injury Attorneys Do?
Personal injury lawsuits are complicated. If you try to file one yourself, or you hire the wrong lawyer, you could come away with far less compensation than you deserve — or worse, nothing at all. Here are just a few of the tasks an attorney will take on so you can focus on getting better:
- Gathering evidence (photos/videos, witness statements, medical records, etc.)
- Hiring and consulting with experts (e.g., a medical expert who explains the scope of a plaintiff’s injuries)
- Negotiating with insurance companies (you may be able to settle your case before it goes to trial, but only if the insurance company offers full and fair compensation)
- Presenting your case at trial (if an acceptable settlement can’t be reached)
Can you imagine having to do all of this yourself while healing from a serious car crash? Keep in mind, too, that the insurance company will likely do everything in its power to pay you as little as possible. This is why it’s in your best interest to contact an attorney who will advocate and fight for you.
What Types of Compensation Can I Recover?
Every case is different, but these are some of the most common types of compensation that a person can recover through a personal injury lawsuit:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages/earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
- Funeral expenses (in the event of a loved one’s death)
You may also be entitled to more compensation if other damages resulted from your injury.
Contact Our Minneapolis Office
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, slip-and-fall, work accident, or another scenario, you may be owed money. Contact our Minneapolis office to find out if you qualify for a lawsuit.
Over the past 30 years, Morgan & Morgan has recovered over $9 billion for thousands of clients. We fight For The People, not the powerful, and it costs nothing upfront to hire us. In fact, we get paid only if you win — and that fee comes out of your recovery, not your pocket.
Fill out our online form for a free case review. These cases are time-sensitive, so don’t wait. Contact us today.
Disclaimer: Cases may be referred to and handled by another law firm as referral counsel.