- The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
- America's Largest Injury Law Firm
- Protecting Families Since 1988
- 20 Billion+ Won
- 1,000+ Lawyers Nationwide
Free Case Evaluation
The attorneys featured above are licensed in Florida. For a full list of attorneys in your state please visit our attorney page.
Miami Lyft Accidents
In Miami, traditional forms of transportation are being ditched by residents and tourists alike in favor of Lyft and its competitors. It may come as no surprise that Lyft, lauded for its convenience and affordability, is the go-to mode of transportation for people who need to get somewhere quickly but don’t have a car to drive.
Unfortunately, despite its impressive technology, Lyft and other ridesharing apps can’t guarantee one thing: your safety. The people who drive for Lyft are generally not professionals, and even so, there’s always risk in entering any vehicle. Even if your driver obeys the rules of the road and does nothing wrong, another motorist might cause a collision.
So what happens if you get hurt as a passenger in a Lyft? Can you recover compensation for your injury?
Get answers to commonly asked questions about our legal services and learn how we may assist you with your case.
Morgan & Morgan
Who Is Responsible For a Lyft Injury?
Lyft drivers are not employees but rather independent contractors. This is an important distinction because employers are responsible for the actions of their employees but not necessarily independent contractors. As a result, liability shifts away from Lyft and onto the individual driver. However, personal auto insurance policies often have a “business use exception” that won’t cover damages while the operator is driving for profit. Who, then, is responsible for compensating you for your injury? Generally speaking, financial responsibility falls to the insurance company for the Lyft driver, Lyft itself, or the other driver, depending on the circumstances:
- The Lyft driver’s car insurance coverage may cover your injuries if they have commercial insurance or regular insurance with a provision that covers ridesharing. Most Lyft drivers don’t have this insurance because they’re not required to.
- If the Lyft driver was responsible for the accident, you may be covered by Lyft’s $1 million commercial liability insurance.
- If the other driver was at fault, you can file a personal injury lawsuit to recoup your losses, the same as you would in any other auto accident.
Can You Sue Lyft?
If the Lyft driver was responsible for the crash, you can try to argue that Lyft shares some of the blame, but it’s a tough sell because Lyft drivers are classified as independent contractors. (Lyft and its competitors have worked diligently to remain within current legal standards on this issue.) The good news is, you may be able to recover compensation through other means, such as the driver’s or Lyft’s commercial insurance policy.
What Damages Can You Receive for a Lyft Injury?
As the victim in a Lyft vehicle accident, you may be eligible to recover compensation with the help of a Morgan & Morgan auto accident attorney. These damages may include the following:
- Past and future medical expenses, including hospitalization and rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering, physical impairment, and mental anguish
- Past and future economic losses, including lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- Permanent disfigurement
Contact a Lyft Accident Lawyer in Miami
As the victim of a Lyft accident, you should never wonder if you can afford to hire a personal injury attorney. That’s why Morgan & Morgan works on a contingency fee basis: We get paid only if you win. Schedule a free case evaluation now to get started.
How it works
It's easy to get started.
The Fee Is Free™. Only pay if we win.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
With a free case evaluation, submitting your case is easy with Morgan & Morgan.
Our dedicated team gets to work investigating your claim.
If we take on the case, our team fights to get you the results you deserve.
stories that inspire and drive change
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Based on Select nationwide reviews