Pensacola Debt Collection Harrassment
Paying your debts can already be harrowing, but debt collectors breathing down your neck, often for no reason, make the process even worse. With the assistance of one of our debt harassment attorneys, you might be able to have the opportunity to return to a harassment-free life and recover compensation for the damages you experienced.
At Morgan & Morgan, we understand the full extent of debt harassment, and we’re committed to helping you fight against debt collectors who burden you with their excessive behavior.
Legal Protections Afforded to You
Florida safeguards individuals from debt collectors with a broad statute prohibiting the use of force or other threatening steps like ruining your reputation or revealing your debts to others.
But the majority of debt collection protections come from the federal government, which affords you significant rights when it comes to battling debt collectors, including:
- Threaten force, violence, or defamation
- Use obscene, profane, or abusive language
- Publish the names of alleged debtors
- Place phone calls with a frequency that is intended to harass
- Misrepresent the amount, nature, or origin or an alleged debt
- Impersonate law enforcement or another authority
- Misrepresent the potential penalties for non-payment, including telling alleged debtors they will be prosecuted, imprisoned or their wages will be garnished (unless garnishment is actually authorized by a court)
- Add charges or fees not authorized by the original agreement
- Solicit or demand an excessively postdated check
- Threaten to repossess property when the right to do so does not actually exist
These rights are part of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which ensures you significant protection against the unsavory tactics of debtors.
Taking Your Life Back From Debt Collectors
Debt collectors rely on fear and a lack of legal knowledge to continue harassing you in pursuit of their goals. This harassment often takes illegal forms, and can be a huge and entirely illegal or unnecessary burden on your life. It can cause deep physical and psychological scars at a time when you don’t need to deal with any more trouble.
At Morgan & Morgan, we’re committed to standing up for the people, including debt collectors who harass people for debts they may not actually have. If you think you are one of these people, fill out a free, no-risk case evaluation form to learn more about how one of our experienced attorneys may be able to help.
Offices near New York
Current call wait: 12 seconds