Mobile Debt Collection Harrassment
Dealing with debt is already a difficult task, and third-party collectors hounding after you in a variety of ways is not just unsavory, it can often be illegal. And hounding you is just the tip of the iceberg. Debt collectors can threaten to ruin your credit, inform your friends and employer, and a variety of other illegal tactics.
If you’re being constantly harassed or intimidated by collectors, you could end up forfeiting your rights and even paying debts you’re under no obligation to pay.
At Morgan & Morgan’s Mobile office, we’re committed to standing up for you, and can represent you if you’re a victim of debt collector harassment. Fill out our free case review form to learn more today.
Legal Protections Afforded to You
The federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act has strict guarantees that affect almost every third-party debt collector in the country. Collectors cannot:
- Threaten force, violence, or defamation;
- Use obscene, profane, or abusive language;
- Publish the names of alleged debtors;
- Place phone calls with a frequency that is intended to harass;
- Misrepresent the amount, nature, or origin or an alleged debt;
- Impersonate law enforcement or another authority;
- Misrepresent the potential penalties for non-payment, including telling alleged debtors they will be prosecuted, imprisoned, or their wages will be garnished (unless garnishment is actually authorized by a court;)
- Add charges or fees not authorized by the original agreement;
- Solicit or demand an excessively postdated check; or
- Threaten to repossess property when the right to do so does not actually exist.
The state of Alabama has additional laws that can help protect you. A strong, knowledgeable Alabama attorney can help you understand your rights.
Contact Morgan & Morgan Today
You shouldn’t have to deal with the stress of mounting bills, and having the constant reminder of it forced on you by debt collection agencies. The added stress can cause both physical and psychological suffering, and leave you scrambling for relief.
If collection agencies are bothering you and your family while you’re dealing with financial debt, you don’t have to take their harassment. Debt harassment is highly illegal. Morgan & Morgan represents the people, and we’ll work to protect your consumer rights. Contact us today or fill out a free, no-risk case evaluation form if you’re ready to seek justice.
Offices near You
Current call wait: 8 seconds