TYPES OF MESOTHELIOMA
Types of Mesothelioma
What Are the Types of Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a rare but highly aggressive form of cancer resulting from exposure to asbestos. Doctors classify its different types depending on where the cancer develops. There are four main types of mesothelioma:
Pleural mesothelioma affects the pleural lining of the lungs and accounts for approximately 3 in 4 of all new cases.
- Symptoms: Most patients experience shortness of breath, chest pain, fever, and fatigue.
- Prognosis: About 2 in 5 patients survive one year following diagnosis.
- Treatment: Many patients undergo chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or immunotherapy – all of which can add weeks, months, or even years to a patient’s life expectancy.
Peritoneal mesothelioma affects the lining of the abdomen. It’s the second most common type of mesothelioma.
- Symptoms: Generally, patients experience pain in the abdomen, bloating, and changes in bowel movements.
- Prognosis: A prognosis is generally more favorable than pleural mesothelioma, as approximately 25 percent of patients survive three years.
- Treatment: Surgery with heated chemotherapy has shown to be the most effective treatment option.
Pericardial mesothelioma occurs in the lining of the heart and is very rare.
- Symptoms: Patients often experience chest pain, difficulty breathing, irregular heartbeat, and a persistent cough.
- Prognosis: Pericardial mesothelioma has the worst prognosis of any type of mesothelioma, as only about half of patients survive six months.
- Treatment: Surgery may help some patients live beyond the average six-month survival rate.
Testicular mesothelioma affects the lining of the testes and is the least common form of mesothelioma cancer.
- Symptoms: Symptoms typically include scrotal swelling and the formation of testicular lumps.
- Prognosis: Testicular mesothelioma generally has the most favorable prognosis, with the average patient surviving two years.
- Treatment: Surgery and chemotherapy can help patients live beyond the average two-year prognosis.
Contact a Mesothelioma Attorney
No matter what form of mesothelioma you have, you may be eligible for financial compensation through a mesothelioma claim. The asbestos attorneys at Morgan & Morgan understand the devastating nature of a diagnosis and want to be by your side during these trying times. Receiving compensation can pay for medical bills and secure your family’s financial future, allowing you to focus on what matters most. Choosing the right legal representation can make all the difference – not all law firms are the same. With more than 400 attorneys and 60 offices nationwide, we have the resources and reach to provide you the best service possible. And, we never charge by the hour. We only get paid if we win for you. While some lawyers are “jacks of all trades,” Morgan & Morgan only focuses on personal injury and has been fighting for the rights of victims for more than 30 years. To learn more, get a free case evaluation today.